Far Beyond Driven

Not Crap
Total votes: 8 (47%)
Crap
Total votes: 9 (53%)
Total votes: 17

Re: Pantera - Far Beyond Driven

penningtron wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:36 am
Krev wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:38 am The rhythm guitar often sounds like an electric can opener. I wonder if Terry Date mic'd one up.
I always found it funny that such an accomplished band had the guitar tone of a Crate practice amp.
When I was in college I worked in corporate music gear retail at a short lived shop called Mars Music. The guitar department was staffed in part by several rednecks. I always remember when they wheeled out the new DD custom amp. We all gave it a go. After my turn wrestling the knobs for several minutes I shared that the expensive amp was completely useless. My diet pill fueled colleague looked at me, squinting like I'd just spit on a Bible and said, "Man, yer so fuckin' stupid!".

numberthirty wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:53 pm
Vibracobra wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:59 pm Very important band/record for me when I was 15. One of the very first cd's I purchased. Good times.

Hadn't listened to it since then. Production is a bit dated IMHo.

NC but to be honest I enjoyed Cowboys from hell more.

Anyway, I just don't care for that band since my teens.
If this was an intentional joke?

I applaud your effort.
Oh same. Deftly done.
at war with bellends

numberthirty wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:51 pm To get out into the weeds a bit...

The solo section of "Hard Lines Sunken Cheeks"?

It is one of the instances of "A Guitar Solo Should Be A Small Song Of It's Own..." Total keeper. Also starts in about the last place you would expect for it to.

"Throes Of Rejection"?

It is a favorite as far as "I'm About To Shred..." solos go. Even though it is a bit heavy on the "Last Half Of Fair Warning..." bit.
For myself;

It's the first riff in 'Shedding Skin' or the sections in the breakdown of 'Slaughtered' when Phil isn't singing.

Not mega complex w/ the fret hand but the picking technique required is nuts - Dime makes it sound so easy that it just flows outta him...

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:23 pm
numberthirty wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:53 pm
Vibracobra wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:59 pm Very important band/record for me when I was 15. One of the very first cd's I purchased. Good times.

Hadn't listened to it since then. Production is a bit dated IMHo.

NC but to be honest I enjoyed Cowboys from hell more.

Anyway, I just don't care for that band since my teens.
If this was an intentional joke?

I applaud your effort.
Oh same. Deftly done.
Maybe it's that I got tired of that Terry Date sound everywhere in the nineties. It DOES sound undeniably good but tiring to my ears. Don't know how to put it into words properly.

Wouldn't say anything against that record musically though. Sure some riffs and vocal melodies go nowhere, but it also contains neat tracks.

Use my third arm was my fave.

I had to revisit this album since I haven't heard it in years and there's just WAY too many "jumpdafucup" riffs on the record; basically, morse-code percussive chugging of 1-2 notes on top of pseudo-funky rhythms pointing towards Slipknot-my least favourite riffing style in the entire history of metal. I revisited Vulgar... too and it had a better balance with only "A New level" being too offensive. That album has other problems though...Anyway, I think I'm too swedish to get it but to each their own, I dug the opener at least and there's a small handful of cool riffs though I should mention that the "...and justice"-type thrash riffs that pop up here and there felt terribly hackneyed and long in the tooth in 94 (and 92) and today, I find them anachronistic amidst all the 90s Helmet- and Sepultura (Chaos AD era) isms; I rather hear them in the context of late 80s thrash...

jakethesnake wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:31 am ... just WAY too many "jumpdafucup" riffs on the record; basically, morse-code percussive chugging of 1-2 notes on top of pseudo-funky rhythms pointing towards Slipknot-my least favourite riffing style in the entire history of metal
You krazy...

Outta that scene you could maybe throw that accusation at Machine Head's Burn My Eyes (always a day late, dollar short band w/ more obvs hardcore / hip hop attitudes)

FBD is way too hyper / aggro to wander into primal downtuned riffs w/ tribal drums territory - what songs here approach Soulfly exactly?

Krev wrote: Any similarity to Slipknot you're hearing is shit that Slipknot ripped off from Pantera. Pantera had no hip-hop influence.
Probably why he said, "pseudo-funky rhythms pointing towards Slipknot." Speaking of, 5 Minutes Alone or Throes of Rejection could go on one of the first two Slipknot albums without a problem.

I was never a metal guy but this album (and band in general) always seemed like goofy bullshit compared to the stuff my metal friends would try to get me into. Around the time this came out, I remember bands like Death, Entombed, Carcass, or Nailbomb being eye-opening even though they were not my thing. Compared to that stuff this album is a push-pull of forced gimmicks and half-assedness. Getting through it again just now was a chore. That Planet Caravan cover with Anselmo doing his best Chris Cornell is rough- really strips the vibe out of the original. Crap.

I loved Pantera in the '90s. Saw them three times and they sure delivered live. Now I really have to be in the mood to listen to this stuff, which is almost never. The utter douchebaggery of Phil Anselmo is a definite barrier.

Someone played them at work a while ago and the music felt so aggro I found myself gritting my teeth and not enjoying it at all. Probably the wrong band to listen to at 9:00 on a Saturday morning.

The 1994 me would vote Not Crap.
https://thegemshow.bandcamp.com/album/a-mountain-2
https://spitegeist.bandcamp.com/
https://wandajunes.bandcamp.com/