Bush - Glycerine
Total votes: 2 (4%)
Live - Lightning Crashes
Total votes: 16 (33%)
Everclear - Santa Monica
Total votes: 4 (8%)
Total votes: 49

Re: Worst Mid-90's Mega-Hit

Oasis are great but I (UK based) never need to hear any of the songs the first 2 albums ever again. But they are a great band w/ many great songs.

Everclear had their moment on Sparkle and Fade, which I like quite a bit, esp when Art sings "Just another overdose" in 'Heroin Girl' with a sort of cynical disgust and heartbroken despair that takes me back to my 20s - I give him a pass there for the feels.

Bush and Live are real bad but "Lightning Strikes" is pompous and super dull - I had to refamiliarise w/ that song and it was torture, somewhere between the worst of mersh 90s R.E.M. and Pearl Jam. At least Bush have hooks and get it over with quick.

Worst song: Live, 'Lightning Strikes'.

Of these four songs, it's between "Glycerine" and "Lightning Crashes". I don't mind the music of the latter's as much, but the lyrics are so bad, so "Lightning Crashes" gets my vote.

I don't like Oasis but "Wonderwall" is inoffensive to me. And I'm an Everclear apologist.

I'd like to nominate "Breakfast at Tiffany's" as an addition to the list. And "I'll Be There for You", though it was primarily written by TV show writers/producers, so I guess maybe it gets a pass. That being said, these tunes are far more vomit-inducing for me.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

I can’t recall the Everclear song at all, so that’s the least bad of them.

“Wonderwall” sounds like babby’s first song. The lyrics could not be dumber. A friend of mine once described grunge as “smart guys acting dumb.” The singing Gallagher isn’t acting.

But those other two are orders of magnitude worse.

Have to think about this one for a bit.

I think 'Wonderwall' is a pretty good song, it's just become ubiquitous and overplayed. That's not really Oasis's fault.

I used to like 'Santa Monica', but not so much anymore. The chords would be a good Lesson 1 for aspiring guitarists.

'Glycerine' is meh to me now. I bought that first Bush album, there's only 2 songs I still enjoy from that record now (Everything Zen and Comedown).

'Lightning Crashes' wins (or loses, I guess). I used to a big fan of Live in high school - even had a Throwing Copper T-shirt - but I've fallen out of love with them. The only songs I still like by them are some of the deeper cuts on Throwing Copper. But LC and 'I Alone' can both be pushed off a cliff, I can't stand those songs anymore.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

brephophagist wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:32 pm Was surprised to open this and see nary a Goo Goo Doll.

Lightning Crashes definitely the most memorable for me, thus worst.
I completely forgot about Goo Goo Dolls, but they fucking sucked.

I didn't know adding a couple would blow out the poll results. I sincerely apologize for that.
We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores.