Bush - Glycerine
Total votes: 2 (4%)
Live - Lightning Crashes
Total votes: 16 (33%)
Everclear - Santa Monica
Total votes: 4 (8%)
Total votes: 49

Re: Worst Mid-90's Mega-Hit

penningtron wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:39 pm The first few years of the pandemic, there were lots of porch hangs, and a common activity was getting drunk and trying to out-cringe each other with the worst '90s music possible. There's a LOT to choose from! We haven't even touched on Hootie and the Blowfish, Crazytown, Spin Doctors, Crash Test Dummies, etc etc. Y'all will be PLEADING for Bush by the time I'm done with ya..
Let’s see . . .

Hootie. I couldn’t tell you what their big hits were, though I heard them a billion times. So I guess not as bad as the poll options.

Crazytown. Were they the “come my lady, come come my lady” band? Pretty terrible, but it doesn’t get under my skin as much as some of the poll options.

Spin Doctors. Okay, THAT was a terrible band. I’m pretty sure “Two Princes” and “Wonderwall” have the same lyrics. Supremely irritating. Maybe nice guys.

Crash Test Dummies. I can’t hate on them, as they were just so goddamn nerdy. I bet at least one member played Warhammer. I bet the band met while doing a school play. I bet half of them went on to get graduate degrees. I bet the singer was never able to use his fame to get laid.

Bernardo wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:42 pm
OrthodoxEaster wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:31 pm Does Sugar Ray's "Fly" make the cutoff date? It's also quite nauseating.

Santana hit a late career nadir with "Smooth", which IMO makes him worthy of inclusion in our version of that era's raspberry awards.
See, but I enjoy making up new lyrics for this song's use in a fictional Taco Bell commercial (or did that really happen?).
Formerly LouisSandwich and LotharSandwich, but I can never recover passwords somehow.

rsmurphy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:48 am
Incredible. Screams to be on a t-shirt. Also, should be noted how much Ed Kowalczyk looks like Pauly Shore.

Funny cuz yesterday I was at a bar showing some stuff and the playlist was mostly 90s and 00s cock rock. The guy I was tasting with was like "yeah, we put on "Nickelback Radio" on Spotify as a joke but it's been a pretty good playlist actually!" I have to admit that when Puddle of Mudd's "Blurry" (2001) came on I was enjoying it, though I had to Shazam it, as I could not recall who it was.

So much bad radio rock in the 90s.

This was the time when NIN became very popular in the mainstream and many many clones showed up: Machines of Loving Grace and Filter come to mind (who each had a decent song or maybe two). I recall Trent Reznor trying to differentiate himself (in an interview in some mainstream publication) and align himself with "real industrial" music rather than the newer dreck. Fascinating times.

Maybe we need a "Best 90's Mega-hit" thread. Fuel's "Shimmer" is up there.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale