Re: Little Details from Your Day

I'm so hungry. I don't think I've ever been this hungry, but I know I have. This time feels different. They all do. Been slipping on my restrictive eating so I'm trying to right myself, but it's super sunny outside and somewhere an aroma of flapjacks and country eggs are wafting. This is bullshit. I don't think the French eat restrictively and they live forever.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

penningtron wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:58 am Tim Ferriss Slow Carb Diet
Don't eat fruit? DON'T EAT FRUIT?!? I've finally become fruit-centric and now I'm being told not to eat it. Ain't that some shit!

If I choose to not drink 1-2 glasses of wine each night I wonder can I just go hog wild on a night where I choose to drink wine. 2 bottles on a Friday, please and thank you.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

rsmurphy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:40 am Don't eat fruit? DON'T EAT FRUIT?!? I've finally become fruit-centric and now I'm being told not to eat it. Ain't that some shit!

If I choose to not drink 1-2 glasses of wine each night I wonder can I just go hog wild on a night where I choose to drink wine. 2 bottles on a Friday, please and thank you.
The answer to both is cheat day. Not all fruit is equally bad (berries >> mangos or bananas) but at the end of the day fructose is sugar. And honestly the whole "I'm gonna eat 2 boxes of donuts on cheat day!" thing gets old really fast, and instead turns into eating a sensible pasta carbonara and a whole cantaloupe or watermelon for dessert or something.
Music

bigc wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:23 am I saw the Swans in Atlanta last night. They played for 2.5 hours and were fucking incredible. Michael Gira is 70!
I'm seeing them in St. Louis in 2 weeks. I'm not sure what to expect musically, I haven't really followed them since The Glowing Man. And the last time I saw them was 2015.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

kokorodoko wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:33 am я вірю, що світ належить кожному.

Think I'll give this a try.
I am familiar with the sound of Russian and know some basics. When hearing this spoken previously I couldn't tell it apart. Only knew about the i:s that look like normal ones by which you can recognize it in writing.

Going over the sound system and a couple of words, the first apparent differences, slight but clear, were:
- more open vowels.
- unstressed vowels not contracted as in Russian, so the 'o' sound remains 'o' -> weather погода, Rus. pagódə Ukr. pohóda
- palatalization less aggressive, somewhat connected to the above two. the shady police force Беркут (Bérkut) is pronounced with the open [ɛ] (Eng. bed, said), while in Russian it would be the narrower [e] (Fr. idée) which is palatalized, i.e. merges with an initial [j], as in 'yes' [jɛs] -> bʲérkut.
- the letter г is read 'h' rather than 'g' - speak is говори́ти hovoríte vs. говори́ть gavarʲítʲ
- different stress patterns.

The shifted stresses and more equal distribution of syllable emphasis makes it more bouncy. A female friend is подруга, Ukr. pódruha Rus. padrúgə.

Noting these things and continuning listening it's already begun to sound and feel way different from Russian.

Otherwise noticed some Persian (Ottoman?) lonewords, like 'maidan' for town square. Might be more of them.

Sometimes you get words that sound to me very unslavic, like they could have come from somewhere else, even though they're from slavic roots, i.e. багато, baháto, "a lot".
born to give