Re: Massively Underrated Stuff.

losthighway wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:25 pm
Wood Goblin wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:46 pm
penningtron wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:05 pm Libraries, especially checking out music from the library.
Good answer!
Amen. Every time I walk out of my local library with books for my kids, a novel for myself and a DVD of a film I wanted to see and the cool ass, friendly security guard guy gives me a wave. The people at the desk are these awesome dorks who just love knowing shit and helping people find things. That's what I pay my fucking taxes for!
A couple of years ago, just before Christmas, I went to the library to check out some books to read while I was with family for the holidays. I think the books were:
- the Road, Cormac McCarthy
- Collected short fiction of Flannery O'Connor
- Johnny Got His Gun, Dalton Trumbo
- In Cold Blood, Truman Capote
- The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, Carson McCullers

The bespectacled young woman behind the counter spread the books out across the counter, so that all of the titles were facing me like an accusation, peered over her glasses and said to me "A little light holiday reading, then?"

Library workers are the nation's conscience, honestly.
Last edited by dontfeartheringo on Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tbone wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:58 pm I imagine at some point as a practicality we will all start assuming that this is probably the last thing we gotta mail to some asshole.