Re: Micro-reviews of Gear You Just Bought

Kniferide wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:22 pm PMC's finally in place
Got around to doing a quick mix of something I had started on the old speakers. It's the only thing I've mixed on the new guys so far but they are really fun to work on.

<iframe width="100%" height="300" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" allow="autoplay" src=">
Was Japmn.

New OST project: https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/flight-ost
https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/numberwitch
https://boneandbell.com/site/music.html

finally testing out my (previously owned) hypex amps. swapped out an adcom for one. These were wired with a 3kHz HP/LP filter for biamping. I just bypassed the filter and am running one of them stereo.

Sounds nice. definitely noticing more support in the low end. Not that it feels bassy or boomy, but it's just more present. These are the UcD 400's, not the fancier newer designs. Will spend some more time with them, but as of now, I'm happy.

Nabbed a coupla things thanks to PRF recs:

- FM Nate Dort posted some time ago about the Ampeg SVT-212AV. Found one used for ~40% of current retail (cabs & speakers are super expensive now apparently?). Aside from some tolex sloughing (also bought a $70 cover from Reverb for protection), an extremely dope cab. Form factor is excellent, weight is manageable, sounds great at reasonable (YBA-1) & unreasonable (800RB) volumes. As a bonus, it's almost exactly the same height as my guitar cabs, which are also diagonal 212s. Very soothing to look at three rigs of identical height if I set up all 3 cabs & all 3 YBA-1s (one is a 1A and one is a modern reissue, I'm not a complete maniac). Not playing bass in a band right now but I have no doubt it'd keep up with anything. A bit annoyed that it's 4 ohms, if only because I could see myself with two (obsessive/big symmetry guy), but it works with what I have so it's fine.

- Several FMs were discussing the Dolamo D8 overdrive pedal recently. $30.99 CAD shipped on *mazon, so why not (and given that it actually shipped Canada Post expedited parcel from within Canada, I actually paid ~$15 for the pedal itself). Sounds great - very much in the Bluesbreaker/Timmy space for sure, very usable gain and EQ ranges. Probably not a sound I'll reach for all the time, but very much worth the $31 & I'll be keeping it around.

So, thanks, folks.

Kniferide wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:37 pm
Kniferide wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:22 pm PMC's finally in place
Got around to doing a quick mix of something I had started on the old speakers. It's the only thing I've mixed on the new guys so far but they are really fun to work on.

<iframe width="100%" height="300" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" allow="autoplay" src=">
sounds awesome in headphones over here
the rutabega | forestlike | jwh

Sony C80 - bought one used for a solid price ($300USD shipped), have only had a chance to use it to mic a guitar amp, but it sounds really really great paired with an M160. They compliment each other nicely and changing the blend between the two gives you a range of two different yet equally excellent toanz.

Excited to give it a whirl on vox tomorrow eve. I've never used a C800G lol, but hopefully this lil bb version lives up in some way to the legend.

I practiced in an actual practice space last night, so hell froze over. Real drums, bass amp and cab... I brought my 2x12 and the Opus with a Seymour Duncan Power Stage 200. The Power Stage was plenty of horsepower, though if you were in a death metal band, you'd probably want something more powerful, like the 700. But overall, the Power Stage is great, providing something like 45 watts for an 8 ohm cab, and I love that it has an EQ section to tweak a little. I was really happy with the Opus. I had put together 5 different kinds of amps to play around with and I ended up going with a Fender-style "clean" amp, a British-style high-gain amp, and then another British-style amp with a lot less gain. They sounded great, I was really amazed how good the Opus sounds and how responsive it is. I loved having the opportunity to switch between different amps and settings, really gave me some extra options with my overdrive pedals and allowed me to express live what I do in the studio. I don't miss my old amp, other than the psychological aspect of having something cool looking glowing behind me--a tiny-ass class D just looks like a battery charger on my cab, left enough space to put my phone and a box of picks down. I guess it could be worse!

cakes wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:11 pm I practiced in an actual practice space last night, so hell froze over. Real drums, bass amp and cab... I brought my 2x12 and the Opus with a Seymour Duncan Power Stage 200. The Power Stage was plenty of horsepower, though if you were in a death metal band, you'd probably want something more powerful, like the 700. But overall, the Power Stage is great, providing something like 45 watts for an 8 ohm cab, and I love that it has an EQ section to tweak a little. I was really happy with the Opus. I had put together 5 different kinds of amps to play around with and I ended up going with a Fender-style "clean" amp, a British-style high-gain amp, and then another British-style amp with a lot less gain. They sounded great, I was really amazed how good the Opus sounds and how responsive it is. I loved having the opportunity to switch between different amps and settings, really gave me some extra options with my overdrive pedals and allowed me to express live what I do in the studio. I don't miss my old amp, other than the psychological aspect of having something cool looking glowing behind me--a tiny-ass class D just looks like a battery charger on my cab, left enough space to put my phone and a box of picks down. I guess it could be worse!
That's awesome - I wonder if putting it in a bigger box with a lightbulb in it, would actually do anything to the feeling of ass-kicking that comes with a big tube amp?

TylerDeadPine wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:11 pm
cakes wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:11 pm I practiced in an actual practice space last night, so hell froze over. Real drums, bass amp and cab... I brought my 2x12 and the Opus with a Seymour Duncan Power Stage 200. The Power Stage was plenty of horsepower, though if you were in a death metal band, you'd probably want something more powerful, like the 700. But overall, the Power Stage is great, providing something like 45 watts for an 8 ohm cab, and I love that it has an EQ section to tweak a little. I was really happy with the Opus. I had put together 5 different kinds of amps to play around with and I ended up going with a Fender-style "clean" amp, a British-style high-gain amp, and then another British-style amp with a lot less gain. They sounded great, I was really amazed how good the Opus sounds and how responsive it is. I loved having the opportunity to switch between different amps and settings, really gave me some extra options with my overdrive pedals and allowed me to express live what I do in the studio. I don't miss my old amp, other than the psychological aspect of having something cool looking glowing behind me--a tiny-ass class D just looks like a battery charger on my cab, left enough space to put my phone and a box of picks down. I guess it could be worse!
That's awesome - I wonder if putting it in a bigger box with a lightbulb in it, would actually do anything to the feeling of ass-kicking that comes with a big tube amp?
Y'all have seen the new Gear Dork, right?

Nate Dort wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:25 am
TylerDeadPine wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:11 pm
Y'all have seen the new Gear Dork, right?

Ha! That’s brilliant