Total votes: 2 (5%)
Live - Lightning Crashes
Total votes: 13 (32%)
Everclear - Santa Monica
Total votes: 4 (10%)
Total votes: 41

Re: Worst Mid-90's Mega-Hit

hbiden@onlyfans.com wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:52 am
First of all I know the flaming lips are a problem. In the mid 90s (which I tried to focus on) they straddled the line between funny/serious better than anyone, and they could do it without annoying. Later is when we got annoyed. But to ignore them would be blatant.
If this were a football match I'd issue a yellow card - the reprimand and some CD's by the band. No way in hell the Lips belong anywhere in this thread. You might as well have included Meat Puppets or Dinosaur Jr. Forgive me for being literal, but they never had a 90's mega-hit. The closest they came was a sleeper radio hit that hit nearly a year after Transmissions released due to the Beavis and Butthead effect. No B&B no Jelly on the fringes of 90's alterna-culture ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

Please do include meat puppets & Dino jr.
and white stripes & sugar ray, moby, Pearl Jam, etc… it’s all subjective.
The point of the illustration is slightly different from the poll, yes. otherwise there would be no unique bands at all. I’m interested in what sets them apart.

Top 3 ubiquitous lube songs of the 90s:
Glycerine
Vasoline
She don’t use jelly.

hbiden@onlyfans.com wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:33 am it’s all subjective.
no it isn't! #alternativefacts
The point of the illustration is slightly different from the poll, yes. otherwise there would be no unique bands at all. I’m interested in what sets them apart.
heart, moxie, and taste.
Top 3 ubiquitous lube songs of the 90s:
Glycerine
Vasoline
She don’t use jelly.
Did Saliva have a theme song?
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

Bland Mascis Dino Jr from this period had nothing on any of these. Sugar Ray was later, and White Stripes were next century. That Venn diagram is massively flawed; for one, Live weren't fucking catchy.

Remind me again why Zappa is on there. He died in 1993. What posthumous alterna-rock hit did he have?
We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores.

jakethesnake wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:51 am
DaveA wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:32 pm Huh, thought you guys were talking about the English IDM/electronic concern LFO (as in, low frequency oscillator), the one on Warp. Was gonna say, memory's hazy but . . . I don't remember them being offensive. But nope! Turns out there was another group by this name, an American one. I'd never heard of them but just listened. The verdict: almost as bad as G. Love & Special Sauce ("Muh bay-bee gawht sauwwwssss!").
I remember liking the UK LFO on Warp quite a bit though I haven't listened to them in 30 years and thus have no idea if theyv'e held up well. Didn't know about the US LFO either; I guess they were one of several US acts from that era who never registered here in sweden. See also:Sublime, Hootie, Dave Matthews Band etc.
The UK LFO is presumably name after a Low Frequency Oscillator. The US LFO was an acronym for "Lyte Funkie Ones"....which I assume means they maintained considerable "funkie"-ness despite being honkies. Also worth noting that their deal with the devil ended badly, with 3 out of the 4 "Ones" dying young.
The final living member, Brad Fischetti, began touring with pop group O-Town in a series of dates during the Y2K tour. He performed LFO songs in memory of Cronin and Lima, and vowed to keep the LFO legacy alive

Krev wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:47 amBland Mascis Dino Jr from this period had nothing on any of these. Sugar Ray was later, and White Stripes were next century. That Venn diagram is massively flawed; for one, Live weren't fucking catchy.
I’ll take the hit on that. Live’s memorable riffs to radio hits ratio is close to zero.
Remind me again why Zappa is on there. He died in 1993. What posthumous alterna-rock hit did he have?
I said why. To fill in the blank!

jakethesnake wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:51 am I remember liking the UK LFO on Warp quite a bit though I haven't listened to them in 30 years and thus have no idea if theyv'e held up well.
“LFO” the 12” has held up well last time I checked (sometime in the last year). The mastering does it no favors, though. Has to be gut-rumbling loud.

“Freak”, less successful but still OK if you’re in the mood.

Requiescat Mark Bell.