Are the democrats gonna throw the election by keeping Biden in the hot seat?

Yes
Total votes: 11 (46%)
No
Total votes: 8 (33%)
Don't know
Total votes: 1 (4%)
A definite possibility
Total votes: 4 (17%)
Total votes: 24

Re: Are the democrats gonna throw the election by keeping Biden in the hot seat?

enframed wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:15 am
zorg wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:26 am It wasn't so much that I support the menthol ban, because as much as I hate smoke, the poor bastards have already been relegated to the furthest rubbish bin in the middle of winter with a $15 pack, and frankly I feel sorry for them. If there is one advantage of private healthcare, it's the complete freedom to wreck yourself, guilt free.
Oh so this is about public healthcare cost is it?
Actually, that's and interesting angle, that because Menthols are largely marketed to and and consumed by minority groups, the same minority groups which are predominantly dependent on government subsidized healthcare, this was an insidious plot to cut costs. But I don't care to speculate. It's really just the concept that they are using Kools to negotiate for votes that I find amusing/sad.

Re: Are the democrats gonna throw the election by keeping Biden in the hot seat?

Krev wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:39 am I think there's fiberglass in the filters
Don't know if things are different there but here it's been a long-standing urban myth that cig filters contain fibreglass. The story was accompanied by the advice that you could get rid of the fibreglass by blowing on the filter before smoking, so a bunch of my friends were doing this.
born to give

kokorodoko wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:43 pm
Krev wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:39 am I think there's fiberglass in the filters
Don't know if things are different there but here it's been a long-standing urban myth that cig filters contain fibreglass. The story was accompanied by the advice that you could get rid of the fibreglass by blowing on the filter before smoking, so a bunch of my friends were doing this.
Quick unscientific investigation concludes that typically it is "Cellulose Acetate" which leaves out the glass, but keeps the plastic, which would seem the main health and environmental concern to begin with. Fiberglass was the replacement for asbestos insulation for a reason, and everybody routinely handles that pink stuff all the time. Glass vapor is not going to occur unless you're on the surface of the sun.

losthighway wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:49 am When I was a sophomore in highschool and a junior in smoking I got a cold and followed in the footsteps of my elder peers by purchasing a pack of Newports (not knowing then or until today this is apparently a very African American thing to do). They were indeed a pleasure to smoke and gave rise to a season long painful cough that only subsided when I got off the mint sticks. I haven't read the studies but I wouldn't be surprised to find that somehow menthols make a damaging habit worse.

The specific incrementalism of the policy and the lack of political courage to follow through on it are interesting and almost humorous. It fits neatly into the 'shit Democrats do' meme. But policy is messy, intentions were probably good, and Trump not being president is definitely more important than a controversial, narrow public health win.
A bit of lore from the Harm Reduction world: If you see a white guy smoking Newports, chances are he's been Inside.
tbone wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:58 pm I imagine at some point as a practicality we will all start assuming that this is probably the last thing we gotta mail to some asshole.

dontfeartheringo wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:24 pm
losthighway wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:49 am When I was a sophomore in highschool and a junior in smoking I got a cold and followed in the footsteps of my elder peers by purchasing a pack of Newports (not knowing then or until today this is apparently a very African American thing to do). They were indeed a pleasure to smoke and gave rise to a season long painful cough that only subsided when I got off the mint sticks. I haven't read the studies but I wouldn't be surprised to find that somehow menthols make a damaging habit worse.

The specific incrementalism of the policy and the lack of political courage to follow through on it are interesting and almost humorous. It fits neatly into the 'shit Democrats do' meme. But policy is messy, intentions were probably good, and Trump not being president is definitely more important than a controversial, narrow public health win.
A bit of lore from the Harm Reduction world: If you see a white guy smoking Newports, chances are he's been Inside.
I had an eccentric SWM neighbor who smoked mentholated Virginia Slims. That's a odd look, man. Suburban condos seem to be full of middle-aged divorcees who have picked up some weird habits.