Jazz Master Replacement Bridge

I have a Squier 40th anniversary Jazz Master. I never thought I'd own a Jazz Master but as many of you know Squier is killing it with their budget copies these last few years, as is Epiphone. They have killed it so hard in fact that I sometimes experience the bridge buzz I have heard whispers about over the years on the original vintage models. I do already use skinny top heavy bottom Ernie Balls which help a bit as I have read that these guitars were designed for .12's or more and that heavier strings mitigate the buzz. The STHB set starts at .10. I know one of our FM's recently upgraded to the Mastery replacement kit for his new Squier Jazz Master and is loving it, so I have three questions -

1. Do any of these replacements actually fix the buzz issue? For now when I hear it I will futz with the bridge until it goes away but it always comes back and that can fuck up my set up. I have heard about some locktite type of fix but I am hesitant to pour that shit into the holes. I've used it before, like to fix a loose spark plug sleeve I had in an old '74 VW Bug years ago because the plug kept popping out and bouncing around the engine compartment (fire/explosion hazard) but that plug was never coming back out after that.

2. The Mastery M1 kit is pretty pricey, almost as much as I paid for the guitar. Are there other good slightly more budget friendly options? This is not my main guitar so spending more than what a pro set up would cost isn't that appealing to me. I know people like to buy budget guitars to swap out cheaper parts but that's not my goal when I buy them. I am willing to just make what I have work. I use a ton of pedals these days anyway. I am not a touring musician or a professional, I am just jamming with some dudes and maybe going to play a few local shows if I can book them. I am already invested in the equipment I have and the practice space we use to store some of it at. I'd rather spend money on high quality cables, pedals, amps, professional set ups, etc then upgrading all my Squiers and Epiphones pickups, tuners, and bridges. But the buzz does bug me when I am playing that particular guitar.

3. Would I have to also replace the tremolo? Mastery sells bridges on their own or in a kit with a trem. Their website says if you have a post 2012 JM you should get the kit. I would probably also have to take it to a professional to swap it out as I have no idea what I would be doing, so that would add to the cost and probably round it up past what I paid for the guitar itself. I think I can handle a bridge by itself but I'd be nervous about the trem.

Thank you for your time and responses.
© 2003 el protoolio

Re: Jazz Master Replacement Bridge

I replaced the stock bridge on my Jaguar with a Mastery and while it was a vast improvement (stock bridge wouldn't even intonate on the low E), I didn't love the tone of it, in particular it made the G string sound kinda plonky. I swapped out the Mastery for a Staytrem and that was much much better. Will drop right into your stock bridge studs. No need to replace the trem,

https://www.staytrem.com/store/staytrem ... jazzmaster
work: http://oldcolonymastering.com
fun: https://morespaceecho.com

How long have you had it/are you the first owner?
I had something similar happen and the tech explained it was actually a worn out saddle post rattling. Finding a compatible replacement bridge proved difficult, so I used his hack of putting nail varnish around the base to stick the saddle in place (you just dab it around and leave it for half an hour).

Both the Fender AmPro/Marr bridge and the Staytrem look better, cost less, and offer no less improvement compared to the mastery.
That said, a generic mustang bridge will get you there for >$50.

If you want to spend dumb money, the toughset bridge looks ridiculously overengineered and probably costs as much as a squier jm.

andyman wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:29 am How long have you had it/are you the first owner?
I had something similar happen and the tech explained it was actually a worn out saddle post rattling. Finding a compatible replacement bridge proved difficult, so I used his hack of putting nail varnish around the base to stick the saddle in place (you just dab it around and leave it for half an hour).
I have had it since last year sometime and bought it new. I knew it was a thing and figured I'd deal with it later.
mdc wrote: ...
That said, a generic mustang bridge will get you there for >$50.
I have heard that too. Maybe I will start with that.
© 2003 el protoolio

Another cheap/easy fix is to shim the neck slightly so it's angled, which will let you raise the bridge and thus increase the break angle behind the bridge which should help keep things from rattling. A number of the squier JM models (the mascis for one) move the tailpiece forward to achieve the same thing.

FWIW I have 6 JMs, 5 of them have staytrems, and the one that doesn't is my least favourite to play (it came with a mastery already installed).

mdc wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:55 am Another cheap/easy fix is to shim the neck slightly so it's angled, which will let you raise the bridge and thus increase the break angle behind the bridge which should help keep things from rattling. A number of the squier JM models (the mascis for one) move the tailpiece forward to achieve the same thing.

FWIW I have 6 JMs, 5 of them have staytrems, and the one that doesn't is my least favourite to play (it came with a mastery already installed).
I was about to post this same thing but was beat to it. Try the shim first. It looks like your model already comes with a mustang-like bridge based on the pictures at the Fender site. I don't know for sure, but you might be trading laterally if you buy an aftermarket mustang bridge.

I have resorted to taking the saddles I like from a bridge that doesn't fit, and swapping them out one by one into the bridge that does fit in mine. Did so in phases over the last 5 nights or so when I've had the time and inclination.

I just restrung it tonight and might see if I can get it set up here in an hour or two if I have time.

I swapped out my VM JM bridge to a cheapo ebay Mustang bridge over a decade ago, and haven't really thought about it since, beyond very occasionally in the early days shifting the bridge back to centre(-ish) in its thimbles, when the intonation seemed to ahve shifted. I did have to saw through the low E saddle screw, to shorten it in order to keep its end off the string, but otherwise it's great.