Re: Interesting Gear Developments Thread

I have no real strong feelings one way or another to be clear, just sharing the news. Ben made a lot of points about how it's not quite as cut-and-dried as it sounds. While it seems weird to root for any big box store, I'm never pleased to hear of any competitor to Amazon going under really. I think a further consideration is that is a bunch of musicians are now losing their side hustle so that isn't great, especially when a lot of those box stores might be their insurance while they gig on the weekends. I can also think of a lot of worse first jobs for young guys getting started or going through school.

Yes the problem is capitalism of course and if this happened before Amazon became the owner of all things I don't think I have any complicated feelings about it whatsoever.

Re: Interesting Gear Developments Thread

Garth wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:34 pm I have no real strong feelings one way or another to be clear, just sharing the news. Ben made a lot of points about how it's not quite as cut-and-dried as it sounds. While it seems weird to root for any big box store, I'm never pleased to hear of any competitor to Amazon going under really. I think a further consideration is that is a bunch of musicians are now losing their side hustle so that isn't great, especially when a lot of those box stores might be their insurance while they gig on the weekends. I can also think of a lot of worse first jobs for young guys getting started or going through school.

Yes the problem is capitalism of course and if this happened before Amazon became the owner of all things I don't think I have any complicated feelings about it whatsoever.
Sure sure... but it seems like Sam Ash just couldn't figure out how to adapt to the new reality. There are music stores with an online presence that compete well against Amazon. Sweetwater, for example, is really killing it.

In the end, it's all capitalism. I would hate to see all competition go away, that would be bad for everyone. Just never going to shed a tear when some big chain can't figure it out and bites the dust.