Crap
Total votes: 1 (11%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 8 (89%)
Total votes: 9

Re: EVs (electric cars)

Gramsci wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:17 am
LuciousSandwich wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:21 pm
Gramsci wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:10 pm Tesla is a brand not a manufacturer. The cars are boring, ugly and look cheap. That truck thing is ridiculous, looks like a boomer that read William Gibson late in life designed it.

Musk is an idiot. I suspect reality is coming his way soon. Fingers crossed.
While I agree about the truck and Musk himself, Tesla is a manufacturer by most definitions-- they have factories and build things in them. They've developed some good battery and charging technology and a some really bad/dangerous autonomous driving tech. They have employed some very smart people-- whether they'll stay is another question.
I probably should have said “Tesla makes batteries not cars”. Which you are right, they’re good at. But anything at any Musk company that Musk has any control over is worse for it. The guy's such a dope he evidently tried to stop the use of hazard yellow at Space X factories because he “was going through a bit of dark phase and I don’t like bright colours”.

Honestly I do think Musk is probably the dumbest rich guy since the British Empire stopped exporting morons.
There's a company in Southern California that does a lot of EV conversions of older cars using salvaged Tesla batteries and motors
https://www.youtube.com/user/evwestdotcom

These videos can be a real time sink if you're not careful. I'm not a big car person, but I enjoy videos where people build things.
Formerly LouisSandwich and LotharSandwich, but I can never recover passwords somehow.