Beastie Boys

Not Crap
Total votes: 25 (68%)
Crap
Total votes: 12 (32%)
Total votes: 37

Re: The Beastie Boys

jeff fox wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:04 pm
Wood Goblin wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:47 am Their apologies for the frat era still seem a little insincere—the frat persona clearly wasn’t just a put-on, even if it had started as one—but their actual *improvement as people* while in the public eye was remarkable. Fame didn’t make them worse!
How exactly was it insincere?
Regardless, they were fucking 17 years old. I was a dipshit well into my 30's. They were cool before and after that blip. And Hold It Now...Hit It, and Paul Revere are both absolute genius.
My recollection is that they insisted it was a misunderstood act, but I think the SOD comparison is apt. Either way, the difference between being assholes and *pretending* to be assholes doesn’t really matter much. Firing their drummer was more that just commitment to the shtick.

But yeah, they were kids, and we all did awful shit at that age, and they faced more temptation to be awful than most of us did. How they changed was admirable, and they seem to have made amends to Kate Schellenbach.

rsmurphy wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:37 am All T no shade but I'd often wonder how many whips in Englewood were bumpin' Paul's Boutique compared to, like, Naperville.
But that's it, isn't it? It's easier for suburban kids to realistically relate to some juvenile jock types than actual gangsters.

I think they're generally are a joke band with a few fun singles that broke the mold at the time. But the stuff that people remember, isn't it mostly that they had collaborators who defined the sound? Rick Ruben, Dust Brothers, Money Mark, and Mario C, etc...seem to be more the masterminds behind those records than the group themselves. I guess that's the case for most rap, but they really got lucky in the sense that their material was otherwise pretty fluffy.

zorg wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:42 am
rsmurphy wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:37 am All T no shade but I'd often wonder how many whips in Englewood were bumpin' Paul's Boutique compared to, like, Naperville.
But that's it, isn't it? It's easier for suburban kids to realistically relate to some juvenile jock types than actual gangsters.
True, but I'd also wonder the same about groups like Odd Future.
Money Mark
Them Mo' Wax rekkids is dope.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

rsmurphy wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:56 am True, but I'd also wonder the same about groups like Odd Future.
My quip on the old forum was disparaging them as the black Bloodhound Gang. I think that still stands. I think Steve also had a funny story about them being uncouth during a shared taxi ride.

Is the question whether Odd Future’s fan base basically white suburban kids? My kids go to a local high school that’s 90% black and pulls from several south side neighborhoods. Plenty of their friends love Earl Sweatshirt and Tyler, the Creator—in fact, our kids learned about them from classmates, not Pitchfork.

I enjoy the music of both Beastie Boys and Odd Future but it's interesting to think about who the music finds and inspires. I was also raised in a solidly working class neighborhood and am afraid of the streets.
wood goblin wrote:Is the question whether Odd Future’s fan base basically white suburban kids?
Back around the time of Steve's kerfuffle I'd argue yes but would also be ready to be corrected. Now I think it's generational and younger black kids in general are more open to weirder imagery, beats, and production matters. Also, the Internet.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

No kids listen to rock music anymore....School of Rock is basically like joining choir. Divergent nerd stuff. Vice-versa every rapper has some shitty verse on a manufactured pop artists record. So I think we're done with the gatekeeping around any rappers being "legit" or "street" or whatever. Beastie Boys probably played their part in that.