Beastie Boys

Not Crap
Total votes: 24 (67%)
Crap
Total votes: 12 (33%)
Total votes: 36

Re: The Beastie Boys

zorg wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:42 am But the stuff that people remember, isn't it mostly that they had collaborators who defined the sound? Rick Ruben, Dust Brothers, Money Mark, and Mario C, etc...seem to be more the masterminds behind those records than the group themselves.
Nope. Not even close. Rick Rubin is responsible for all of the terrible shit on License, and is generally a talentless douchebag. Dust Brothers taught them the technology behind sample heavy music. Adam motherfucking Yauch was the genius behind 99% of it.

They were literally right there for the birth of both Hip Hop and Hardcore. That's the fucking coolest thing. And they never rubbed their coolness in your face.
gonzochicago wrote: Doubling down on life, I guess you could say.

It was a joke- implying you must be new here if you’re surprised to see so many people with a stick up their ass. Pretty easy to set people off. The wrong number of toms in your kit. Shorts on stage. Etc.
gonzochicago wrote: Doubling down on life, I guess you could say.

jeff fox wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:06 pm Shorts on stage. Etc.
I voted not crap then and I'd vote not crap today.

As for Beastie Boys, all the criticism here is absolutely valid, but 'Check Your Head' and 'Ill Communication' are just so goddamned cool all the counterarguments don't matter (to me). I can always listen to those records, In fact writing this made me want to listen to them right now (but I'm at work).

NOT CRAP

PS: I'm still hoping somebody is going to upload the Glasgow 1999 gig to youtube in HD quality as the tapes must be somewhere. What a fucking rocketship of a show.