Beastie Boys

Not Crap
Total votes: 24 (67%)
Crap
Total votes: 12 (33%)
Total votes: 36

Re: The Beastie Boys

jeff fox wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:06 pm It was a joke- implying you must be new here if you’re surprised to see so many people with a stick up their ass. Pretty easy to set people off. The wrong number of toms in your kit. Shorts on stage. Etc.
OK, I gotcha now. Sorry, I was distracted getting my PRS ready for open blues jam. I really need the tonewood to sing for "I've Got a Rock n' Roll Heart".

EDIT: I got it dialed in. Pup selector position 2. Pure mojo.
https://genaumke.bandcamp.com/

zorg wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:42 am
rsmurphy wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:37 am All T no shade but I'd often wonder how many whips in Englewood were bumpin' Paul's Boutique compared to, like, Naperville.
But that's it, isn't it? It's easier for suburban kids to realistically relate to some juvenile jock types than actual gangsters.

I think they're generally are a joke band with a few fun singles that broke the mold at the time. But the stuff that people remember, isn't it mostly that they had collaborators who defined the sound? Rick Ruben, Dust Brothers, Money Mark, and Mario C, etc...seem to be more the masterminds behind those records than the group themselves. I guess that's the case for most rap, but they really got lucky in the sense that their material was otherwise pretty fluffy.
First off...

Read Mario's Tape Op interview.

Past that?

What you are saying is roughly -
The person who put the beat together for "Midnighht" has more to do with the tune than Ice-T.
Which is a kinda dumb take.

Now, past all that?

When you are posting on a board where the "Capture The Performance..." casts a long shadow?

Tying to take points off of the vocal performances in even something like "No Sleep 'Til Brooklyn"?

Does not compute.

That's about as "Capture The Performance..." as records got at the time.