Re: Movies you have watched thread.

Challengers. Thought it was going to be good based on the trailer. Wasn't disappointed.

Actually used the non-linear narrative in a novel way, almost a manipulative way. Didn't mind.

Fantastic ending, I thought. Reznor and Ross score was perfect.
"And the light, it burns your skin...in a language you don't understand."

Watched “Perfect Days” on the weekend - haven’t watched a movie like this in years. Very enjoyable - and very sensory…Afterwards I felt mildly annoyed at the semi-magical patronising tone - see! Toilet cleaners CAN be happy! They can be so happy they can teach US how to live simpler lives (while no doubt on bullshit wages and conditions); all the while listening to classic cool 70s tunes on fucking CASSETTE!!! So I was equally charmed and slightly cynical…clearly I’m just a bitter middle aged guy who didn’t learn a fucking thing from the film !! 😉
Anyone else got a take on this?

Iancee wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:25 am Watched “Perfect Days” on the weekend - haven’t watched a movie like this in years. Very enjoyable - and very sensory…Afterwards I felt mildly annoyed at the semi-magical patronising tone - see! Toilet cleaners CAN be happy! They can be so happy they can teach US how to live simpler lives (while no doubt on bullshit wages and conditions); all the while listening to classic cool 70s tunes on fucking CASSETTE!!! So I was equally charmed and slightly cynical…clearly I’m just a bitter middle aged guy who didn’t learn a fucking thing from the film !! 😉
Anyone else got a take on this?
I thought it was patronising as fuck too, but that's par for the course with Wenders.
at war with bellends

At this point you're probably better off getting new cinema recommendations from some kid in his or her twenties who can be bothered more often, but I'll tell you what. . . I just saw Alice Rohrwacher's La Chimera the other day, and it was fabulous:

A rare new movie in that it's as good, if not better, than those who've liked it have said it is. A LOT more likable than most cinema. Lovable even, which is funny because it's hard to recall a movie in recent memory with grubbier settings and characters. (The characters are largely a rag-tag group of graverobbers in Italy.) But it's a gem, thoughtfully composed, well directed, regularly humorous. Has a deft balance between artful and accessible, and it flows well. When the needle drop of Kraftwerk's "Spacelab"--long a favorite of mine--kicked in, my eyes watered up. It's got more going for it than most movies, and books for that matter.

Gonna check out that recent Victor Erice, Open Your Eyes, soon, now that there's a bit more time for proper movies in my life. Whole lotta turkeys out there, but some directors've still got it.
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .

New Novel.