Re: Requiescat FM Steve

I think Steve said that door thing was BS in another interview. That said: Molina's almost improvisational approach is captured in the Josephine documentary, and Steve and the studio was clearly equipped for the job.

I'll go ahead and tell the Lido Shuffle story for those not around at that time. In 2009 for the first PRFBBQ, I put together a live karaoke band accidentally named The Hype!, with little clue of how it would come together or be received. It ended up being a hit, talked about for weeks after. The next summer BBQ came around and of course we were gonna do it again, and Steve at one point on here posted "I'm doing Lido Shuffle!" He had expressed his liking of that song around that time due to the gambling lyrics. Haha, fun idea I thought, but it didn't seem serious. A few weeks before the BBQ he posted again: "you better make room for Lido Shuffle!" Hmmm, ok, so we learned the song just in case. Most people doing karaoke covers would email me, we would verify we were both learning the same version of the song and go over other details, so this request was loose to say the least.

That week comes along. There's a WSOP event in Vegas that Steve ends up doing pretty well at, extending his stay thru the week. "Things are going great but I might not make it back for Lido". Well, damn. We played our set Friday night: 2 hours of sweaty madness and it was great, but no Lido. We all show up throughout the next day, pretty exhausted, but still having a blast hanging out. There are rumblings throughout the day that Steve won a decent amount of money and is heading back that night. Cool he gets to make some of the BBQ, I thought, but the Lido window had passed in my mind. A few of my bandmates were like "we can still do it!" but I didn't take it too seriously. I watched some great sets by Bottomless Pit and Police Teeth, then kinda petered out into one of the backrooms to chill for a bit. Soon over the PA I hear my name, along with a dozen others calling for me to get to the stage NOW. "Steve is looking for you!" He had just gotten out of the cab from the airport and literally the first thing he was asking about was Lido Shuffle. So we talk about it briefly, I see Police Teeth is still breaking down their gear so I quickly ask them if we can borrow it instead. And then it actually fuckin' happened..

This is the only clip that still exists, unfortunately. That's ok: he wasn't particularly well-rehearsed, and the band was exhausted and playing on other peoples' gear. But it was amazing and the room went OFF. The best line gets cut off during that clip: when the keyboard/guitar harmony happens, Steve points to Liz and says "it's like there's two of her!" I think we stuck around and played another song or two with other audience members singing, "Surrender" I think, and if you've ever seen the picture of a pile of sweaty dudes being held up by FM kerble making the gun-in-mouth gesture, that's where it came from.

But anyway.. Steve only did this because he loved the DIY, industrious spirit of this place. Making shit happen outside even the more established Chicago underground channels and whatnot, simply because it was a cool thing to make happen. Beyond being in great bands and recording great records, I think that will ultimately be his legacy: getting involved, learning how to do things to a high standard, supporting the things around you, passing your knowledge on to someone still learning... just DOING THE THANGS for their own sake. Very few people, if anyone, embodied and manifested that attitude more, or better.

Oh. And there was a pretty good message exchange between him, Marsupialized, and me about the horniness of that BBQ: who was fuckin' who in what corner, but I'm keeping that one to myself.

EDIT: eliya reminded me that Steve dedicated this cover to Silkworm drummer Michael Dahlquist, who was known to have a carefree, live-for-the-moment spirit before he was tragically killed by a reckless driver in 2005. The last line in Lido Shuffle is "one more for the road", Steve ended the song with:

One more drink, one more fuck, one more hearty laugh.
Last edited by penningtron on Sun May 12, 2024 7:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Music

Gramsci wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:34 am Is Marsupialized on the new forum?
No. I think he's a bit embarrassed about those years, claiming he was "hopped up on pills".

But in appreciation for all the work Marsup had done in those years, Steve presented him with an electrified Xylophone (featuring his old Travis Bean pickups) signed by CocoRosie!

This interview from the Shure site in 2018 is quite good. Deep cut stuff. I saw it on Linkedin of all fuckin' places.
Music

penningtron wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:39 am
Gramsci wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:34 am Is Marsupialized on the new forum?
No. I think he's a bit embarrassed about those years, claiming he was "hopped up on pills".

But in appreciation for all the work Marsup had done in those years, Steve presented him with an electrified Xylophone (featuring his old Travis Bean pickups) signed by CocoRosie!

This interview from the Shure site in 2018 is quite good. Deep cut stuff. I saw it on Linkedin of all fuckin' places.
I can relate. My early posts are at times awful. I’ll check out the article.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/posts ... eve-albini

. . . but no other engineer was quite as attuned, in an almost metaphysical way, to the humanity of recorded music, its senselessness and magic, the truths it could crystallize or reflect back at us. The creation of music serves no plain biological purpose—how utterly reasonless and inexplicable that we do this at all! How beautiful!

. . .

The evening after I learned of Albini’s death, I took to Instagram—as one does—to post a photo of “The Magnolia Electric Co.,” an Albini-produced album by Songs: Ohia, released in 2003. Songs: Ohia was then the alias of the musician Jason Molina, who died young, in 2013, at age thirty-nine, from complications due to alcoholism. It’s a formative record in my life, heavy and deep and flawlessly recorded, which is to say that when I put it on, there’s nothing in the way. No distance between me—between any listener, anywhere—and Molina. Because of that, it feels like a portal to another sphere, a lifeline, and hand to hold in the night. It sounds like air and starlight. Molina’s voice is plaintive, desperate, close. Art like this is inherently benevolent. It is there to help us. Albini could be caustic, often combative, but perhaps he was simply saving all his love and care for this one gesture.

FM Dave Grohl dedicated "My Hero" to FM steve the other night. This might seem cheesy and corny and who knows what FM steve would have thought but I think it's sweet and classy and sincere. I guess he has played this and dedicated it to others in the past but who cares? This time it was for FM steve.

[youtube][/youtube]
© 2003 el protoolio

penningtron wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 6:53 am I'll go ahead and tell the Lido Shuffle story for those not around at that time.
Holy shit. Thanks for sharing the story. I also have a somewhat unexpected love for that song. What I would give to have been there...

Damn, this week has sucked.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

El Protoolio wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:32 am FM Dave Grohl dedicated "My Hero" to FM steve the other night. This might seem cheesy and corny and who knows what FM steve would have thought but I think it's sweet and classy and sincere.
I honestly choked up a little, yet again. They rekindled their friendship in recent years. And I think the more mature Steve valued sincerity and being true to one's self (and FMDG is, fan or not) over being in a "cool" band. He was also friendly with the Eve 6 dude.
Music