Re: Small questions that don't fit anywhere

Lu Zwei wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:17 pm Noise gates with single coil pups - do you put them at the font or back end of your chain signal, guys/gals?

I have a rather wild sounding guitar with lots of pup output...
Hey sir!

I put the noise gate first, usually.

Sometimes I've put the noise gate after a fuzz pedal where I know the fuzz pedal will have an impedance interaction with the guitar's pickups. Or, the gate I have is always a buffer as well. Sometimes I want the buffer last before a long cable run.

There are some noise gates now that have a loop. You plug your guitar through the noise gate to trigger the gate, but then you plug back into the gate after all the noisy pedals. The clean, dynamic guitar signal opens and closes the gate, but it will be opening an closing after all the noisy pedals have added their inherent noise and hiss. Chug Chug Chug.

benadrian wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:24 pm
Lu Zwei wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:17 pm Noise gates with single coil pups - do you put them at the font or back end of your chain signal, guys/gals?

I have a rather wild sounding guitar with lots of pup output...
Hey sir!

I put the noise gate first, usually.
Oh, hi Mr. Bunny!

That's what I was thinking, to saddle the beast first. I found an '85 MXR Line Driver in fucking Estonia on Reverb, so I will try it in a week or so when I get it.

That was quick, thank you very much good sir!
Nothing major here. Just a regular EU cock. I pull it out and there is beans all over my penis. Bean shells all over my penis...

One more thing on gates.

I have this perverse fantasy to build a noise gate into the guitar and then put it before the volume and tone controls. So I could tune the gate threshold before the level reduction of the volume knob. I'm one of those people who uses the guitar controls to tweak gain and stuff.

I've tried doing this in Helix by using a gate placed before a volume pedal. I'm just better with the guitar knob now, and I'm also trying to do a no-pedal setup at the moment.

Lu Zwei wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:58 am Has anyone tried to replace the EL34s with 6CA7s? What are the thoughts, experiences and practices!?

Thank you!
I have NOS Sylvania 6AC7 in my 50-watt JMP Master volume. They have a little more balls in the low end than EL34s. A tad cleaner overall with tighter lows. Maybe a little more detail in the top end. Not harsh. I can’t speak to modern ones though from EH and JJ. Overall pretty similar. Not as drastic of a change as between 6L6GC to 6550 for example.
self: https://tommiles.bandcamp.com/
old: https://shiiin.bandcamp.com/