Re: Personal memories from the old forum

cakes wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:23 am I remember the first time those of us in Chicago got together to see a show, though I've totally forgotten what the show was.
Silver Jews at Double Door, perhaps? An amusing memory from that night was meeting BRW. I asked him for a light to which he showed me a way that a true gentleman would flick a lighter; it had a flourish and a wrist-spin. He admitted that he and Steve have been giving lights like that for a while and I should take-up the challenge.

I also remember Sam falling over your railing. Good times in that Diversey apt.lp

Photobucket has my hot dog crawl pics.

I still haven't watched Caddyshack. Or Meatballs. Or Slap Shot. But I've seen Porky's, like, a ton.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

rsmurphy wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:04 am
cakes wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:23 am I remember the first time those of us in Chicago got together to see a show, though I've totally forgotten what the show was.
Silver Jews at Double Door, perhaps? An amusing memory from that night was meeting BRW. I asked him for a light to which he showed me a way that a true gentleman would flick a lighter; it had a flourish and a wrist-spin. He admitted that he and Steve have been giving lights like that for a while and I should take-up the challenge.

I also remember Sam falling over your railing. Good times in that Diversey apt.lp

Photobucket has my hot dog crawl pics.

I still haven't watched Caddyshack. Or Meatballs. Or Slap Shot. But I've seen Porky's, like, a ton.
Definitely not that. It was at Schubas, if I remember correctly. I can't recall everyone who was there, but definitely Jonah, Scott, Sam, you, me, John and I-forgot-her-name-but-Scotts-girlfriend-at-the-time-from-Turkey.

But guess what? This predates the old Castle in the Sky apartment on Diversey. We hung out in my-then tiny attic apartment!

cakes wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:09 am Definitely not that. It was at Schubas, if I remember correctly. I can't recall everyone who was there, but definitely Jonah, Scott, Sam, you, me, John and I-forgot-her-name-but-Scotts-girlfriend-at-the-time-from-Turkey.
Am I getting close? Was Todd Trainer there? No idea which show this was or if this is even Schuba's. Tutku was fly.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

rsmurphy wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:09 pm
cakes wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:09 am Definitely not that. It was at Schubas, if I remember correctly. I can't recall everyone who was there, but definitely Jonah, Scott, Sam, you, me, John and I-forgot-her-name-but-Scotts-girlfriend-at-the-time-from-Turkey.
Am I getting close? Was Todd Trainer there? No idea which show this was or if this is even Schuba's. Tutku was fly.
Might be? Oh, and Tutku is her name, if I'm remembering correctly.

Brett Ralph’s stories about Danzig were amazing. I happened to get a screenshot of three of them before the forum tanked:

“My favorite Danzig story comes from my friend Rat. Rat was a huge Misfits/Samhain fan and began a correspondence with Glenn Danzig in the early to mid-80's. Rat traded Danzig lots of comics and vintage toys for rare Misfits records, and their friendship grew to the extent that Rat and his girlfriend made a pilgrimage to visit the great man himself.
This was when Glenn was still living in his parents' house in Lodi, New Jersey. At some point over the course of the weekend, Glenn was in his basement room gloating over the Shogun warriors Rat had brought him from Kentucky. Imagine everyone's surprise when Glenn's fat Sicilian father trudged down the stairs and shouted in his hoarse Jersey dialect,
"Hey Glenn! I thought I told you to mow the fuggin' grass!
Get out there and mow the goddam yard!" Glenn attempted to explain that his friends (his fans) had come all the way from Kentucky, but Papa Danzig was already on his way back upstairs.
The thought of Glenn Danzig fuming as he mowed his father's lawn, no doubt dressed completely in black, while Rat and his girlfriend played with Glenn's toys in the basement makes me smile every time I think of it.
I thought I told you to mow the fuggin' grass!”

“Glenn Danzig produced a record by some friends of mine, Kinghorse. I was living in Massachusetts, so I drove down to the city to hang out in the studio with them. Glenn would generally sit at the board next to the engineer (Steve Ett!)
while the band and I lined the wall in the back.
When Danzig was really getting into the music, he would rock back and forth and play double bass drums on his titties, while looking around and grimacing. After a few days, this became a joke among us. At one point, Danzig turned around to find me, the drummer, and the bass player all mocking him, grimacing at each other and pounding our chests. He turned around very quickly and pretended not to have seen us.”

“Samhain's van broke down when they came to Louisville, so my friends Big Irv and Bill Murphy drove them to their gig. All four members of Samhain squeezed into the back of Big Irv's '67 Dodge Coronet. On the way to the club, Big Irv blasted Devo at almost full power through the back speakers. Danzig, he said, was clearly hating life, going so far as to glare at London May when he began to bob his head along to the music; May summarily stopped rocking. When Irv felt that the Devo-torture had gone on long enough, he turned down the music. Then he and Bill Murphy, who were both big fat rednecks who'd gotten swept up by punk rock, spent the rest of the drive to the gig arguing loudly about what kind of sex they were going to have with one another later that night.”
f.k.a. jimmy two hands

seby wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:56 am
gaetano dimita wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:01 pm In the last days of the Terri Schiavo case the old PRF had this huge thread about euthanasia: lots of serious opinions on the subject, lots of heated exchanges.

Quite a few pages into the thread some PRFer (I can't remember who) posted a link: the photo of the poor woman lying in her hospital bed in a vegetative state, her eyes wide open and seemingly oblivious to the world. The caption to the link read "TERRI SCHIAVO LIVE WEBCAM".

I clicked on the picture and it turned out it was just a jpeg.

I remember feeling guilty and despising myself for laughing to tears, but o my god did I laugh.
I am on the tram reading this and snort-laughing trying not to loose it in front of the rush hour crowd.

I hate you
I know the feeling :) Salut!

The Yeoman Ghost wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:55 pm
seby wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:52 am The awesome weirdo with the rocks that rested on speakers?!! I forget what they were called.
I’ve been trying to remember that, as well. Was it “tweaks”? “Mods”?
That guy was so great. So much fun. I think there were balls of children's clay mashed up into different shapes around cable ends.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale