Re: What are you buying, What's on its way?

MoreSpaceEcho wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:11 am
penningtron wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:45 am I've only bought Warmoth parts in stock
Me too. I prefer buying in stock bodies for a couple reasons besides price
Yeah. The custom stuff also takes like 4-6 weeks to make while the in stock stuff is.. in stock. (then again a paint job would still add wait time)
As far as fancy pickups, I'll stick up for Fralins, and I really like the Gemini goldfoils as well, but yeah there's plenty of perfectly excellent Duncan/Dimarzio options too. I was looking at Lollar goldfoils and they're like $220 each, which is awfully spendy.
I have owned 1 Fralin vintage hot Strat neck and it was definitely good, and not super expensive admittedly, but not that much different than pickups in the $70-80 range. One twist of the amp's EQ knob would make more of a difference in the sound vs a comparable pickup.

Some of the spendy stuff is at least unique (goldfoils, dearmond style, etc), but for common stuff I probably wouldn't bother again.
Music

And here it is! The Hippie Sandwich in all its glory.

My bassist gave me a ziplock baggie with some of the original hardware and some other things thrown in. It’s got the TOM and tailpiece so I’m covered there, but there’s probably gonna be an overhaul of damn near everything else. The big thing I want to do that isn’t particularly standard is to have a pickguard made to resemble the one on the TB-1000A, which I’m sure is going to be a pain in the ass. (If youse guyse know anyone who can fabricate aluminum pickguards from a tracing, get at me.)

It’ll definitely need a new nut, which is probably the one thing I’ll have to take it to a tech for. I’m hoping I can handle everything else.

Speaking of which:
  • Tuners. I’ve gotten into putting those vintage slotted tuners over my usual locking tuners, but who knows if I’ll find something like that in 3x3. Kluson or Grover might make ‘em?
  • Pickups. I like the GFS Surf 90s I put on my Mustang so I’ll probably go with those. If I was going to go with something more expensive, there’s a couple options I’m looking at. Ultimately I’m looking for something that can approximate the G&L Jumbo MFDs on my ASAT Special. Currently on the list is the Lollar Novel Broiler (Rickenbacker-style singles), Fralin’s Big Single 42 and Sunbucker, and Creamery’s take on the Travis Bean hums.
  • Knobs and other hardware. Definitely looking for something chrome and minimalist. Probably getting aluminum pickup rings too, and a chrome switch tip too.
Anyway, can’t believe I’m putting myself through another guitar project again. I’m probably gonna pace everything out through the next few months so I don’t blow my disposable fund wad immediately.
Formerly FM kazoozak. Guy in Fake Canadian.

Dudley wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:56 am
There's a guitar store in Hobbiton??

Seriously, wherever that pic was taken looks idyllic.
David, the guy that builds them lives somewhere in the French countryside and all the pics are done like that one. I love them.

Here you go, Pajo's guitar in Hobbit land!

Nothing major here. Just a regular EU cock. I pull it out and there is beans all over my penis. Bean shells all over my penis...

Nate Dort wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:05 pm
Nate Dort wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:36 am Rolling the dice on an "untested" Calrec Soundfield Mk. IV system. I think the seller got it from a storage unit liquidation or a church closing or something, because none of their other items are of this ilk. Hopefully it just needs a good cleaning and refoaming, based on the photos. Price was too good to pass up.
This arrived today. It "works," but has low output. Pretty sure all four of the capsules need to be replaced, as they're all missing quite a bit of the gold coating on the membranes. I contacted Soundfield (Rode) in Australia to see what they say about servicing it.
So, I sent this thing to Hebden Sound in the UK back in February to get all four capsules reskinned and matched. Just got notification that it's on its way back to me.