Re: Reaper for assholes

I just discovered the 'perfect timing' reapack extension thing, and it works quite nicely.

The drummer in our band mentioned she wanted to re-track some drums for a particular song we've been working on, so we took a swing at it the other day. Solid performance but playing along to a pre-recorded bass track that was tracked to a drum track which was tracked to a scratch guitar track which was tracked to a click is definitely tricky. So, there's some drift in the tempo throughout, I was trying to go through and nudge things a bit, as the dynamic split-quantize to grid thing in reaper usually sounds terrible.

Anyway, turns out some smart person programmed a beat-detective-ish equivalent called perfect timing that has a percentage quantize option in it, so you can pull stuff closer to the grid but not completely travis barker ize it. Worked well! I still had to go through and fix a few fades here and there, but it definitely saved me a lot of time.

mdc wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:05 am I just discovered the 'perfect timing' reapack extension thing, and it works quite nicely.

The drummer in our band mentioned she wanted to re-track some drums for a particular song we've been working on, so we took a swing at it the other day. Solid performance but playing along to a pre-recorded bass track that was tracked to a drum track which was tracked to a scratch guitar track which was tracked to a click is definitely tricky. So, there's some drift in the tempo throughout, I was trying to go through and nudge things a bit, as the dynamic split-quantize to grid thing in reaper usually sounds terrible.

Anyway, turns out some smart person programmed a beat-detective-ish equivalent called perfect timing that has a percentage quantize option in it, so you can pull stuff closer to the grid but not completely travis barker ize it. Worked well! I still had to go through and fix a few fades here and there, but it definitely saved me a lot of time.
Leave it to Reaper to fix a problem that you don't even know that you have...

Idiot question from someone who barely knows how anything works:

I got myself a little Akai midi keyboard. Fought my way through the ilok and software minefield, and now have a working instrument that I can connect to my computer and makes bleeps with. Now how do I get Reaper to recognize/record this thing? Tried all the 'maybe this will work' sort of things.

c jury wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:37 pm Idiot question from someone who barely knows how anything works:

I got myself a little Akai midi keyboard. Fought my way through the ilok and software minefield, and now have a working instrument that I can connect to my computer and makes bleeps with. Now how do I get Reaper to recognize/record this thing? Tried all the 'maybe this will work' sort of things.
Is your Akai keyboard connected via USB or via midi cable to your audio interface?
Go to preferences and look at midi devices. You possibly have to enable your keyboard as midi input. Off the top of my head you have to double click on the midi device.
Then you insert a new track, arm it and instead of choosing an audio input you choose midi in omni. Instead of selecting an audio output of your interface you select the midi output.

bassdriver wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:21 pm
c jury wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:37 pm Idiot question from someone who barely knows how anything works:

Is your Akai keyboard connected via USB or via midi cable to your audio interface?
Go to preferences and look at midi devices. You possibly have to enable your keyboard as midi input. Off the top of my head you have to double click on the midi device.
Then you insert a new track, arm it and instead of choosing an audio input you choose midi in omni. Instead of selecting an audio output of your interface you select the midi output.
Couple of "How To..." videos...

(Second vid is a little more "The Details...")

numberthirty wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:14 pm
mdc wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:05 am I just discovered the 'perfect timing' reapack extension thing, and it works quite nicely.

Leave it to Reaper to fix a problem that you don't even know that you have...
All hail Reaper, queen of snakeskin software