American Music Club
Total votes: 1 (3%)
Codeine
Total votes: 4 (11%)
Other
Total votes: 1 (3%)
Total votes: 37

Re: Thunderdome: Slowcore / Sadcore faceoff

Vibracobra wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:03 am I'm kinda sad cause I've never really got into Bedhead, apart from the debut. Feel like I'm missing on something great.

Who knows, maybe one day I'll try again and click with it.
Same, I missed them when first delving into this scene but checked them out when seeing the cavalcade of hosannas on PRF.v 1 and never got it. Still not clicked. Just seems a bit... mid?... like Seam... provokes a shrug... happy to hear why I'm wrong...

I've had a change of heart and gone w/ RHP, those first 3 albums are still totally emotionally devastating to me. I also think the balance between the emotional energy of the songs and the sparse sonics comes together well, maybe not as boldly as it does on the best Low and Codeine albums, but without any tedium-inducing / bordering-on-parody moments.

Yeah, RHP. The first 3 albums. That and the Sun Kil Moon debut. I am ambivalent about the rest of Kozelek's music but those four albums mean a great deal to me.

numberthirty wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:35 pm Other -

Idaho.

For me, it goes roughly...

Jimi Hendrix - Edward Van Halen - Jeff Martin/Ronald Jones

That said?

Maximum "Big Up..." to Bruce Kaphan. That guy is a straight up national treasure.
Been on a deep dive of that band lately. Superb. Maybe 70% of it lands for me (the Hearts of Palm album mostly, to be honest), but the songs that do REALLY hit hard. Way into it.

New documentary of them on Amazon (you have to rent it) AND a new box set announced today of their first few albums on vinyl.

I'd put them well below Bedhead and Low, but I love some of those records a lot.

Codeine, absolutely, for melding the overblown power of a Blue Cheer with the raw emotional manipulation of all the other bands listed here. The White Birch is way, way up there for favorite 90's albums.

It's not a "genre" I can go back to often, but every band listed does mean something to me, sure. But then a band like Acetone at least has some twang and shuffle and humor to latch onto.

I've always wished I "got" Bedhead, their musicianship is solid but there's never a song I feel like putting on.