Re: What are you reading?

I thought I’d give one of the Dune Brian Herbert books a crack and I’m reading The Butlerian Jihad…

Not good. I’ve almost packed it in twice but I’m almost done so… the writing is terrible, the origin stories of lots of stuff from the Frank Herbert books is clunky and most of the characters are idiots.

Shame.

I’ll probably read another one 😂
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

Epp, S. Discrete Maths and its Applications. Fifth edition.

I am teaching discrete maths to our new masters cohort and I want them to have a good textbook on which they may rely. Epp’s is pretty good! Making sure my notation matches hers. There is more variation across maths and logic symbols than one might expect.
"lol, listen to op 'music' and you'll understand"....

https://sebastiansequoiah-grayson.bandcamp.com/
https://oblier.bandcamp.com/releases
https://youtube.com/user/sebbityseb

Oksana Zabuzhko : Fieldwork in Ukrainian Sex

Swift and hurried, in constant movement. I'm into that part, but not so much the content itself. Something about this always makes it sound distanced and artificial, to the point where the observations on the self-image and historical consciousness of Ukrainians don't arouse much interest either, it all kind of flattens out. "Academic" is the best way I can describe my impression.

Serhiy Zhadan : Anarchy in the UKR

Just finished. Read alongside the former, this too is a text in movement, and I like it better. A guy is hiking around the country by train and we get a series of snapshots of locations and situations that are quite effective at evoking sights of places I have never seen and for which I have no clear references in previous imagination.

Serhiy Zhadan : The Orphanage

Just started. It's good. Similar thing here with the environments.
born to give

I’ve been working my way through William Gay’s output. Gritty southern gothic fare, like McCarthy’s Suttree. When I’m not reading William Gay, I’m reading Jim Harrison.

There’s a great author here in Central TX named James Wade. He’s a younger fellow who wears his influences on his sleeve, but seems to be settling into his own voice. He also writes in the southern gothic tradition. I recently burned through his three books, and I’m looking forward to his new one. I hung out with him one night a few years ago, just before his first book came out. He told me he found writing to be very easy. If he can easily turn out books that good, I expect he’ll have a long and lucrative career ahead.

I read the Nomeansno book last week. I wasn’t aware of Rob’s breakdown and burnout toward the end of their existence, as well as the less-than-amicable nature of Andy leaving the band and Rob’s longstanding grudge.