Total votes: 12 (18%)
1000 Hurts
Total votes: 10 (15%)
Excellent Italian Greyhound
Total votes: 6 (9%)
Dude Incredible
Total votes: 7 (11%)
Total votes: 66

Re: Favorite Shellac record (studio LPs)

Loving To All Trains.

A couple of songs feel like they are a little short… I’m probably projecting because this is it until the Singles are reissued as a single 12”.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

agiant wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:42 pm papa, what a record! we'll be pirates!
Listening to that, finally on vinyl.

One thing I noticed is the stereo field is… weird. Example Steve’s hated hi hats are in the left speaker as seem to be Bob’s bass… so the field is facing outwards in the same direction as the band rather facing them like in a show situation.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

Nate Dort wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:31 pm Ah! The dreaded drummer's perspective vs. audience perspective debate has reared its ugly head again.

Drummer's perspective is the correct answer, BTW. I'm pretty sure every Shellac record has been mixed that way.
And when you’re in (multiple, somehow!) bands with a lefty the argument gets really silly!
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com

Nate Dort wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:31 pm Ah! The dreaded drummer's perspective vs. audience perspective debate has reared its ugly head again.

Drummer's perspective is the correct answer, BTW. I'm pretty sure every Shellac record has been mixed that way.
I had no idea this was a thing. This is going to make listening to albums a bit more interesting.

I just did a compare on Betty and Aftertaste by Helmet… albums burned into my brain. Betty, audience. Aftertaste, drummer.

Drummer perspective is always correct when it's Todd Trainer because listening to Shellac will make you want to be Todd.

Still waiting for To All Trains to arrive. Apparently everybody and his dog suddenly wants to buy their first Shellac record. Pretty excited to hear it, in a sad way.

I know "Studio LP" was intended to exclude The End Of Radio, but technically the Peel sessions were done in a studio, right? And that record is pretty great.