Re: Good, lesser known horror movies

strontiumtom wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 2:42 am I imagine there's so much context that doesn't translate.
There could be a lost in translation effect happening. I follow Quentin Smirhes (Sean Reynard) and don't understand half of what's going on but his bag is so entertaining and disturbed that I wish I grew-up in England in the 70's freaked out by nan's stockings and tchotchkes in the cupboard.

Watched a found footage deal called Godforsaken (2022). The first half is pretty swell, unique, and creepy but the last half is so dumb and enraging that it squandered any grace I had for overlooking its earlier faults. Still worth a watch, I guess, if you can turn your brain off.

Grotesque is a 2009 extreme horror flick from Kōji Shiraishi. I wasn't fully aware of how extreme it was, and just went into it on the strength of Shiraishi's Noroi: The Curse, which I absolutely love and comes highly recommended. My goodness it put me in a state. Had to turn it off after about 20 minutes or so. Any trigger warning you can imagine would apply. Much too old to approach horror movies as an endurance test these days especially with so much real horror happening in the world. Maybe I'll finish it someday but there's too much spooky stuff to discover.

Baghead (2023) is dumb. Turned it off after 30 min or so because of it's dumbness. Stupid movie 👎🏼
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

Violett - slow-burn psychological horror out of Australia about a mother trying to protect her daughter from an unknown evil. Astonishing vibrant, trippy, and kaleidoscopic cinematography. Patience is rewarded with a third act I certainly didn't see coming.

Gateway - slow-burn psychological horror out of Ireland about a group of low-level drug dealers hoping to pay off a debt. Suspenseful with good performances, and a haunted would-be weed hizzy kept me interested. Third act is kinda meh, but it's definitely worth a watch.

Demons in the Dark is a short horror/revenge film with a captivating performance by lead actress Tirra Dent. Bloody and violent, so, like, you gotta sign-in and stuff. Not that this short is exploitative in any way - the story is engaging and haunting - but it is intense and dark.

Aftermath is a Spanish horror short difficult to recommend to casual horror fans but if you can stomach a film like Nekromantik then have at it. Very intense with scenes of an autopsy, gore, and, well, you know. Shot well. Maybe a little too well, but the volume completely dips out a couple of times which I am guessing is the fault of the uploader.

rsmurphy wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 8:20 am
Grotesque is a 2009 extreme horror flick from Kōji Shiraishi. I wasn't fully aware of how extreme it was, and just went into it on the strength of Shiraishi's Noroi: The Curse, which I absolutely love and comes highly recommended. My goodness it put me in a state. Had to turn it off after about 20 minutes or so. Any trigger warning you can imagine would apply. Much too old to approach horror movies as an endurance test these days especially with so much real horror happening in the world. Maybe I'll finish it someday but there's too much spooky stuff to discover.
Noroi: absolutely extraordinary film, incredibly well conceived and executed. Have not seen Grotesque, not for me, I understand it's more or less a one-off in his catalogue. Have been reliably informed that Occult and A Record of Sweet Murder are both very worthwhile but have not seen either.

Apropos of spooky, here is Paul Berry's 1991 animated short The Sandman. I am fairly sure I saw this alone on Channel 4 one night within a couple years of its release - I would have been 10-12.

my main dude absolutely can't withstand horror films of any measure, but i've been promising myself a jacques tourneur marathon for a while now: somehow the only thing i've seen in full is Night of the Demon, about 25 years ago. There's a shot of an empty hallway in that film that regularly surfaces in my nightmares. Can't wait to see The Leopard Man.

free meat wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:33 pm Butt Boy
I lol'd during the third act but was hoping this movie would be much more effed-up than it was. I guess I went into it expecting more body horror than a comedy playing it straight. I also had to google "can you show a butthole in mainstream film" because I don't see how one can vacuum a whole-ass male adult up one's butt without spreading them cheeks. The visual was pretty hilarious tho.
dfglv wrote:my main dude absolutely can't withstand horror films of any measure, but i've been promising myself a jacques tourneur marathon
Oh! I I Walked with a Zombie is so gorgeous-looking and atmospheric. I don't see how anyone could not like this movie.

I started to watch Joko Anwar's anthology Nightmares and Daydreams but only made it through two episodes. Big fan of Joko and anthologies but can never understand why the latter is always a mixed bag. Sorry Joko! Super looking forward to his Siksa Kubar (Grave Torture) coming later this year. Loved the short and psyched about watching that universe expand.

Watched Sinister for like the fourth time after several false starts (and an initial viewing at a theater) out of sheer boredom just trying to make it happen. Dumb movie. I'm a masochist. So dumb. Even the found footage part is dumb.

Pyotr495 is a queer-themed revenge horror short about a hookup gone wrong. The violence committed in the film was pulled from real life kidnapping stories that took place in Russia post-Putin's anti-LGBT law. It's intense and deeply upsetting but just deserts will be gotten.

Horror-comedy is more my speed and I mentioned these titles in some other threads:

• Housebound (NZ, 2014) - Fantastic and maybe overlooked in the states, serves Evil Dead 2 vibes, maybe a bit of Hausu.
• I Like Bats (Pol, 1986) - Not so much a vampire movie as much as an "Is she or isn't she?" movie and, even then, the question is "Which is she?" RIYL Martin, The Blood Lover, which I should probably list.

But to add to this thread specifically, and touch more on horror than horror comedy I'll say:

• Martin (US, 1977) - You'll have an easier time finding it if you call it Martin, The Blood Lover (just like having to look up the 1977 House as "Hausu" to avoid getting the 1985 House in your results). I read an article once where George Romero called this his favorite out of all his films.
• A Field In England (UK, 2012) - Want to see what a cast of five dudes and a budget of £300K can really do?
• Leptirica (Ser, 1973) - Maybe the best vampire movie I've seen since The Fearless Vampire Killers.
• Wilczyca (Pol, 1983) - A werewolf movie that's kind of about domestic abuse. Or a domestic abuse movie that's kind of about werewolves.
• Viy (USSR, 1967) - The first horror film made in the Soviet Union.
• Witchhammer (Cze, 1970) - If you love the feeling of knowing you're next and having no escape at all.

I'll give a little honorable mention to last year's Last Voyage of the Demeter, which I feel like, yeah, everybody's heard of but I've never heard anybody talk about it one way or the other. I liked it. I wanted to like it more but it suffers from the contemporary technique of not lighting anything and jacking up the contrast in post. If you like movies where you can hardly see shit, this may be for you.
🎸 krakoa.bandcamp.com
📚 barnesandnoble.com/s/Charlie%20Pauken
🥪 sandwichbully.blogspot.com