Re: "That's it for me" redux.

Gramsci wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:03 am
It blows me away that’s not parody.
I'm all for radically recontextualizing a cover song, but keeping the dark sweeping strings and attempting an accurate Beth Gibbons impersonation only leaves the ukulele as a twee cultural weapon (a passe one at that). What would take balls would be to do it with only ukulele.

losthighway wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:38 am
Gramsci wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:03 am
It blows me away that’s not parody.
I'm all for radically recontextualizing a cover song, but keeping the dark sweeping strings and attempting an accurate Beth Gibbons impersonation only leaves the ukulele as a twee cultural weapon (a passe one at that). What would take balls would be to do it with only ukulele.
Back in 00s this kind of thing was referred as Luvvies… a bet a lot of very disingenuous hugs and air kisses occurred during this session.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

Just witnessed some dipshit on twitter arguing that US-backed coups in Central and South America for the purposes of allowing fruit companies to profit off of terrible labor conditions were good because the factories brought money into corrupt cultures that couldn’t take care of themselves and that they couldn’t pay their workers more than poverty wages because if they did, their neighbors would just murder them and steal it. This was at the conclusion of a thread that was started by said dipshit in response to a trans person appearing on a popular hardcore podcast

andyman wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:33 pm Did this ever get posted?

Opening verse:
I love your sticky rice... butt-fuckin' all night"
Good to see Crazy Town are still getting work...
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

Krev wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:50 pm
andyman wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:33 pm Did this ever get posted?

Opening verse:
I love your sticky rice... butt-fuckin' all night"
I was gonna call this Sugar Ray, but that motherfucker makes Mark McGrath sound like H.R.
Hard as it is to write, this is definitely worse than Crazy Town and Sugar Ray. The bar has indeed been lowered.

Im ashamed to admit I googled Day Above Ground, and I guess this whole Asian Girl controversy went down like 10 years ago. What is somewhat interesting to me is how this all might have come to be. I guess these guys were never actually signed, and must have paid for what looks to be a pretty expensive video themselves, which then got them into hot water, because they\re too boneheaded to realize this was going to tank their fledgling rap/rock group. I like the Mr. Magoo guy on bass. I also like that the lead singer has erased as much as he could on the internet about his association with his former band and now has a website that has a Nietzsche quote on the splash page, with the following bio
Joe Anselm is a lifer. No marriages. No children. No 401K. Only music. And a hot girlfriend. Joe Anselm started dedicating his entire life to singing, bands, & songwriting way out West in the mid 2000's and he's still on that same road. He found his vocation, and despite the many pitfalls he's fallen in or dug himself, he's intending on going the distance. Joe Anselm is happy to play where ever he can & is grateful to share all the musical gifts he has
The whole thing has bit of a The Room vibe to it.