Liar
Total votes: 15 (19%)
Down
Total votes: 5 (6%)
Total votes: 79

Re: Favorite The Jesus Lizard record

Charlie D wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:45 am
caga tio wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:25 am Stone Temple Pilot B-side
Can I get an umpire to review this call? Possibly eject this player from the game?
I'm listening. Ok... Ok.... OK... Mhm... Aha!? Mhm... mmmmmmmmmm....

I'LL ALLOW IT!
Nothing major here. Just a regular EU cock. I pull it out and there is beans all over my penis. Bean shells all over my penis...

Charlie D wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:54 am
Lu Zwei wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:51 am I'm listening. Ok... Ok.... OK... Mhm... Aha!? Mhm... mmmmmmmmmm....

I'LL ALLOW IT!
Perhaps I've been stricken deaf at an unfortunately young age but I don't hear any STP in that song.
I mean, there are shades of young era Smashing Pumpkins, but that's neither here nor there.
Nothing major here. Just a regular EU cock. I pull it out and there is beans all over my penis. Bean shells all over my penis...

Lu Zwei wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:57 am
Charlie D wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:54 am
Lu Zwei wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:51 am I'm listening. Ok... Ok.... OK... Mhm... Aha!? Mhm... mmmmmmmmmm....

I'LL ALLOW IT!
Perhaps I've been stricken deaf at an unfortunately young age but I don't hear any STP in that song.
I mean, there are shades of young era Smashing Pumpkins, but that's neither here nor there.
I want to kick myself out of the game. I hate having these thoughts! Listening to this song though, I keep getting hit over the head with flashbacks to horrible and half-remembered 90s alt radio. "Is this opening riff kinda like the opening riff to Interstate Love Song if it was mad at you" or "Is this main chugging riff something close to what a Bush song or a Velvet Revolver song used?" I might not have liked Blue but I've never had these kind of thoughts about a TJL song before! Maybe it is all down to the production. It could be that that is what is giving me crap flashbacks.

[EDIT] and for the record I chose Goat but love Liar, Down, Head, and half or more of Shot.
Last edited by caga tio on Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lu Zwei wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:50 am
Gramsci wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:43 am The song is fine. The recording sounds like dog shit.

The reason why…

According to an interview the band did with Hank Shteamer for The New York Times, work on the album began in 2019, and they recorded it Black Keys drummer Patrick Carney’s Akron, Ohio studio Audio Eagle with local producer Paul Allen

I blame Sims
This is my only gripe with this whole thing. I hope in the meantime they kinda figure out a different mix/master.
I like the song alright but yeah the recording is a bit flat sounding. Not sure why they got the Microsoft guy to produce it but I'm still pretty stoked there's a new album.

AdamN wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:00 am Should have recorded with Steve. The Black Keys, barrrrfffff.
After reading Book many years ago I knew there was Zero percent chance of that ever happening. David Sims spent half the book complaining about Steve and thought Shot was the pinnacle tJL recording. I agree: some people in the band have zero clue what made them compelling. Dennison's playing is good but not exactly super inspired. These sessions were probably just another Tuesday for him.

Super up front/compressed David Yow vocals don't really work either. He sounds way scarier when it seems like it's coming from 20 feet away.
Music