Liar
Total votes: 15 (19%)
Down
Total votes: 5 (6%)
Total votes: 79

Re: Favorite The Jesus Lizard record

caga tio wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:22 am I might not have liked Blue
Nobody liked Blue.
I actually listened to Blue a few months ago to see if it was as bad as I remember and, honestly, only half the songs suck but the production on the whole thing is awful. Better versions of "Cold Water" and "Needles for Teeth" can be heard on the S/T EP; I'd like to hear "I Can Learn" and "A Tale of Two Women" without the little electronic adornments and the bullshit treatment of Kimball's drums. Can't remember how the other songs go except for the chorus to "Horse Doctor Man" and that... that... whew, boy, I tell you... whew... just... no.
Last edited by Charlie D on Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
🎸 krakoa.bandcamp.com
📚 barnesandnoble.com/s/Charlie%20Pauken
🥪 sandwichbully.blogspot.com

Krev wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:45 am It's a bummer that most older bands can't seem to dissect their best albums and figure out what made them good.
On the one hand it's kind of unfair and weird to expect people to make the music they did half a lifetime ago. On the other no one wants tJL to come out sounding like Tindersticks in 2024 either. You kinda lose either way. Basically, bands should just stay broken up.

(I think the song is more "meh" than bad)
Music

penningtron wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:38 am After reading Book many years ago I knew there was Zero percent chance of that ever happening. David Sims spent half the book complaining about Steve and thought Shot was the pinnacle tJL recording.
I'll have to reread that tonight. I remember Sims was really defensive of Shot and even Blue but I don't remember what he said about Steve.
penningtron wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:38 am Super up front/compressed David Yow vocals don't really work either. He sounds way scarier when it seems like it's coming from 20 feet away.
Maybe they were trying to achieve that with the digital slapback on his voice.
🎸 krakoa.bandcamp.com
📚 barnesandnoble.com/s/Charlie%20Pauken
🥪 sandwichbully.blogspot.com

penningtron wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:52 am
Krev wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:45 am It's a bummer that most older bands can't seem to dissect their best albums and figure out what made them good.
On the one hand it's kind of unfair and weird to expect people to make the music they did half a lifetime ago. On the other no one wants tJL to come out sounding like Tindersticks in 2024 either. You kinda lose either way. Basically, bands should just stay broken up.

(I think the song is more "meh" than bad)
Oh yeah, that's an unreasonable expectation. But I'm thinking they could have listened back to the sound and production techniques. Imagine if Sabbath had ditched Rick Rubin for 13...

It could have sounded like Sabbath Bloody Sabbath instead of Ozzmosis.
Last edited by Krev on Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores.

Charlie D wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:54 am Perhaps I've been stricken deaf at an unfortunately young age but I don't hear any STP in that song.
If you squint hard enough (in a mean spirited way) I can sorta see how you could hear an aggro-rock rave up version of Tiny Music... era STP. Not sure I would have heard this w/out being prompted...

Meh song, but played w/ a good shot of venom. Production sounds like a contemp take on their classic sonic form, which is to be expected. I might have turned Duane down a bit in the mix for the verses if he's palm muting along; this would add a liitle more dynamics to the impact of the chorus, IMO... but whatever.