LCD Soundsystem

Not Crap
Total votes: 10 (63%)
Crap
Total votes: 6 (38%)
Total votes: 16

LCD Soundsystem

This is a weird one for me. I have no great emotional connection with this music but I still like it a lot. It’’s very “lightweight”, what I’d call Party Music. But Murphy seems a swell guy and the music is clever and I really like the 80s synths. There’s a lot of Bowie and Romeo Void going on…

Not crap, but no deep connection going on.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

Re: LCD Soundsystem

I really like them. That original run of 3 albums they did - the s/t, Sound of Silver, This is Happening - is very impressive. Their live shows are fun too.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

I once wrote them off based on some (somewhat accurate?) cultural associations. Murphy's good natured humility in interviews got me over that baggage enough to give them a fair listen. Quality stuff. Talking Heads and Joy Division/New Order with some of the edges sanded off but it feels authentic to them. Not my first or even my seventh favorite subgenre but quality material.

I watched their farewell concert movie when it came out, because why not, and figured I'd never listen to them again. But I've since put on their records a few times and there are a half-dozen or so songs that I would put in a mix. Not crap, I guess, but with the waffle that I would be fine if I never heard them again.
"And the light, it burns your skin...in a language you don't understand."

Like Daft Punk and through no fault of their own the public face of their fan base is kind of douchy and ignorant of or ungracious toward the mosaic of cultures that inspire the music. I can also imagine their shows having a frat party atmosphere that would impact my enjoyment of the performance. I'm old enough to remember when mainstream music was as segregated as a Chicago neighborhood and as homophobic as Disco Demolition, and it's still crazy to me that disco sucks has turned into disco rocks, but that's how colonialism and capitalism work. That said, they are a cool band with a heap of admiration for the artists who over the years haven't received the adulation, airtime, and substantial bank accounts afforded to more privileged artists who trawl through record bins or music blogs. A solid Not Crap but I'm more into their aggressive bangers than pap like "Daft Punk is Playing at My House." Terrible song.

I've always wanted to do a Thunderdome with "Losing My Edge" and "Thou Shalt Always Kill" by Dan le Sac vs Scroobius Pip. The latter goes hard, pplespecially during the outro, but I'd argue that it owes its existence to "Losing My Edge." A draw!
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

I have to be polite because most of my friends really like them but I'd always rather listen to the music they heavily lift from. James Murphy does seem nice but I always cringe a bit at a dude aiming way above his capabilities. Dude should have instantly deleted his first attempt at falsetto vocals.

Crap
Music

There was a poll in the old forum too….

Don’t get it…at all. A shittier version of the Ze records dance punk thing but super popular. So many people who have decent taste otherwise like this band. Much rather listen to some techno or something if if I want tuneless, meaningless four on the floor bamping.

Can some list the bands they’re derivative of?

I’m not really familiar with music dance punk music, I assume from the 80s. There was some very good Brazilian post punk from that era that it reminds me of but beyond that I’m pretty ignorant.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.