Crap
Total votes: 6 (26%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 17 (74%)
Total votes: 23

Re: Movie: Ferris Bueller's Day Off

speedie wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:57 pm
zorg wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:06 am
ErikG wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:18 pm Regardless Jennifer Grey is a cutie pie and it sads me that she had to go through that.
You mean the nose job?...yeah that was a mistake.
+100
Oh I agree.

Big fan of nuanced facial features. I can get a person wanting to fix them if it bothers them, but in her case, it made her unique. Loved her look in FBDO.

I also feel bad for saying I like her look better before her nose job. Not really fair of me. And who am I? Just a dumbass.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

seby wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:56 am So not crap

Has anyone made a John Hughes movie ranking thread yet?
Vacation would be at the top. Planes and I guess Bueller next. Don’t like any of the others.

His high school movies depict kids as they believe they are, whereas Richard Linklater depicts them as they actually are. When I finally saw The Breakfast Club, I was an adult, so the entire movie rang false, like a bad sitcom. Maybe it would’ve resonated had I seen it in 9th grade, though my school didn’t have cliques, so it could’ve rang false then too.

But I’m hesitant to write him off as a hack, as a few of those movies are funny as hell and have dated remarkably well. He just seems to have been equally interested in and engaged with good stories and Hollywood tripe.

Wood Goblin wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:25 pm
seby wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:56 am So not crap

Has anyone made a John Hughes movie ranking thread yet?
Vacation would be at the top. Planes and I guess Bueller next. Don’t like any of the others.

His high school movies depict kids as they believe they are, whereas Richard Linklater depicts them as they actually are. When I finally saw The Breakfast Club, I was an adult, so the entire movie rang false, like a bad sitcom. Maybe it would’ve resonated had I seen it in 9th grade, though my school didn’t have cliques, so it could’ve rang false then too.
I think this is wrong. Linklater's and Hughes's films both show kids as they are. Sixteen Candles and Breakfast Club ring as true to me as Slacker. I write this as someone who was in high school from 1986-1990. My school (2400 kids) absolutely had cliques: jocks, hicks, nerds, skaters, punks, stoners, goths, cheerleaders, preps, mods, band nerds, drama kids...we even had a "continuation school" on campus. I'm sure I'm missing one or two. Drugs allowed us to move between the cliques unscathed. Not all kids are the same; the subject matter was different in each film.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

Not crap. Love all 80s john Hughes movies in spite of recognizing various "problematic" issues and how extrordinarily *white* they were on every level.

Btw, "normies"? I hope that term is used ironically, otherwise, it's just sad. Like I can see a 13 yo Billie Eilish fan refering to Taylor Swift fans (Swififties) as "normies" but middle-aged rock fans? Grow up ffs