Goat
Total votes: 52 (66%)
Liar
Total votes: 15 (19%)
Down
Total votes: 5 (6%)
Total votes: 79

Re: Favorite The Jesus Lizard record

Lu Zwei wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:28 pm Grams, my man, SHOT has some of the best TJL songs ever written. More Beautiful Than Barbie moves me in ways few of their songs move me like that.

Yes, the production is really shoot, but I have no idea why would anyone crap on the songs on that record.
Not crapping on those songs at all, I think the issue is Sims crapping on his own legacy to have a go at Steve.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

Krev wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:30 pm
zorg wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:59 am Still okay with the new one, but do NOT listen to it on a mix with classic era songs, Who the fuck is Joe Allen or whoever produced this anyway? Just some Mike Patton hanger-on?
It sounds like he's a Black Keys hanger-on.
His only producing credit is a Tomahawk record. I think they just used a studio owned by a Black Key.

zorg wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:44 pm
Krev wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:30 pm
zorg wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:59 am Still okay with the new one, but do NOT listen to it on a mix with classic era songs, Who the fuck is Joe Allen or whoever produced this anyway? Just some Mike Patton hanger-on?
It sounds like he's a Black Keys hanger-on.
His only producing credit is a Tomahawk record. I think they just used a studio owned by a Black Key.
Ah, okay. So Duane probably had some input there.
We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores.

Shot has some great tunes but recording is just not appropiate for that band... too shiny and metallic, generic. There was some creepines on those first records and that is gone on Shot.

Blue probably has the worst songs of their discography but at least it sounds much cooler IMHO

This new track is kinda meh by their high standards but having them back is awesome.

Shot was a perfectly good little rock album with just enough *indicators* of prime Lizard to make it worthwhile-had it been my first album I've heard from them, I probably wouldn't have cares much which makes it a terrible *major label* debut; if you were unfamiliar with them, would it have made you a fan? I'm sceptical...

Blue was a 90s rock embarassment of epic proportions; up there with Melvins "Stag" and the final Cows album as stuff by previously great bands best ignored...

Vibracobra wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:31 pm I find both Stag and Sorry in pig minor very interesting from a production point of view mostly. I enjoy them.

But yeah, they're no Bullhead nor Effete
Pig minor... *is* kind of interesting in how it relates to their previous, stripped down discography, I just didn't like it. Stag is straight up Mr bungle to me... call me narrowminded but when it comes to the Melvins, play the sludge and shut up about the rest-they can't do it and they sound corny and unconvincing when they try-it's the zappa/bad taste take on genre tourism... i can't do it as a listener and neither can they as a band as proven by recorded evidence