Crap
Total votes: 6 (26%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 17 (74%)
Total votes: 23

Re: Movie: Ferris Bueller's Day Off

iembalm wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:06 pm
OrthodoxEaster wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:28 am
Lu Zwei wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:22 pm Like, we didn't get a lot of movies in former Yugoslavia, but I can remember the day I watched FBDO, That Ferrari Scene... EPIC!!!!

N/C 10/10
You probably know this already, but the garage attendant who borrows the Ferrari is played by Sonic Youth’s first drummer, the incredible character actor Richard Edson.
"What're you gonna do in Budapest?"
Classic! Jarmusch’s second (if you count Permanent Vacation) and best film.

As for Hughes, Edson reportedly thought he was something of a mulleted, suburban square.

The garage attendant character supposedly had no lines and no name at first, but Edson was steamed upon learning this after being flown out there, so he got a sew-on patch for the uniform, thought up an “ethnic” name, and improvised the “What country… “ line w/Broderick. To me, that dialog indeed seems a little too smart, culturally aware, and multilayered for Hughes to have penned it.

jakethesnake wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:38 am Not crap. Love all 80s john Hughes movies in spite of recognizing various "problematic" issues and how extrordinarily *white* they were on every level.
What struck me on this past viewing was the amount of black people used as extras in the parade sequence. Like, a ton. It got me to thinking about Hughes's life experience and how one from his privileged caste probably never encountered black people unless they went to the city much like the ditch squad in FBDO.

Sixteen Candles is just out of pocket

Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

John Hughes was to Ronald Reagan's "moral majority" what Leni Riefenstahl was to Adolf Hitler's Nazi party.

Love me some John Candy tho.

Cameron Frye's confronting his jackoff yuppie father is clearly the crux of Ferris Bueller and probably the only part that redeems the shaggy dog's tale of the script, but hey at least the shots around Chicago are cool.

The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, jesus christ those are terrible movies. Fey, boring, unimaginative ideas of adolescent problems, trying to meld Risky Business with getting kissed by the ~popular kid.~ CRAP CRAP CRAP

gotdamn wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:06 am
Love me some John Candy tho.
Inspired by this thread, I looked up Hughes' filmography. I though he directed The Great Outdoors, turns out he just wrote the script. I remember liking the physical comedy moments of that film as a kid.

I showed my wife the scene with The Ol' 96er.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

Krev wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:11 pm Uncle Buck, man. It kills me when he's flipping that massive pancake with the snow shovel.
*cranks shitbox car BACKFIRES*

"have you ever heard of a tune up?"

"Have you ever heard of a ritual killing?"
Trey Wrote: "How great must a thread be to miss such a thing? Beans on the penis great, I suppose"

Okay, so last night I rewatched with my family, none of whom had seen it. My wife is Brazilian and had no cultural references to stuff like this.

It was okay. I’m revisiting as crap with waffles. The unintended racism, rich people doin’ rich people stuff… Broderick being incredibly annoying… going to a Cubs game. Blah.

Cameron and the Principal slapstick were redeeming. Seeing Chicago was fun.

I’m going to have to say crap. It hasn’t aged well.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.