Re: What are you reading?

Memoirs Of My Nervous Illness by Daniel Paul Schraber. I will let the table of contents speak for itself
Ten Thousand Apologies: Fat White Family and the Miracle of Failure by Adelle Stripe and Lias Saoudi. I feel like this group works best more as some kind of media group than a traditional rock band, but I like them well enough. I think my favorite thing any of them have done is the first FWF LP and the Saul Adamczewski solo album Adventures In Limbo but I check into all of their albums and side projects from time to time.
Last edited by llllllllllllllllllll on Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Empire of Pain: The Secret History of the Sackler Dynasty

Finished it the other night. I'm actually glad that I'm done with it. It's very well written, but parts of it made my blood boil.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

llllllllllllllllllll wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:29 pm Gravity’s Rainbow again. I’ve read it more than a few times over my life and always think I would benefit from looking up a chapter summary or something on the side, but instead I just let it wash over me like poetry. Have always loved Pynchon’s writing.
I'm about a 100 pages shy of finishing my first reading of it. Immensely enjoying it... what a journey. I've used one of the online guides here and there when something wasn't clear to me but overall the book is much less intimidating than I expected (I put off reading it for many years, regrettably). I also didn't expect the book to be so damn funny. Planning on reading Mason & Dixon next.

mrcancelled wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:56 am
llllllllllllllllllll wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:29 pm Gravity’s Rainbow again. I’ve read it more than a few times over my life and always think I would benefit from looking up a chapter summary or something on the side, but instead I just let it wash over me like poetry. Have always loved Pynchon’s writing.
I'm about a 100 pages shy of finishing my first reading of it. Immensely enjoying it... what a journey. I've used one of the online guides here and there when something wasn't clear to me but overall the book is much less intimidating than I expected (I put off reading it for many years, regrettably). I also didn't expect the book to be so damn funny. Planning on reading Mason & Dixon next.
Yeah, Pynchon’s writing is probably more forgiving than he’s given credit for, especially on account of the density. You can hear the melodies in his little songs. The most challenging part to me is keeping up with the odd characters, plot labyrinths, and crazy little historic/scientific references that are peppered through out, but they’ll always be there again for the next time. It’s not at all like trying to read J R or some other book where they rip the structure right off the page. I’m not really interested in that or other book length sentences that have since come out.

I’ve read all of Pynchon’s a long time ago but recently fell in love again with The Bleeding Edge, so I’ll probably keep at them. As for the next one of his, I might do The Crying of Lot 49 since I just never quite got into that one? But I might prefer Against The Day.

Went to the library. Picked about five to seven books off the shelf. Started reading, two, three, four pages. Decided if it felt good to read and if I wanted to continue.

Went home with The Great Gatsby and Woman in the Dunes (Abe Kobo). Chekhov and Joyce Carol Oates passed the test too, and I might come back for them some other time.
born to give