Re: Personal memories from the old forum

enframed wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:39 am Also, how does on do a search on the wayback thing?
It doesn't. It's just a read-only view of whichever pages the Internet Archive webcrawler decides to index, which is usually influenced by pageviews. The Amanda Palmer thread got a lot of traction on the internet writ large so it was indexed pretty thoroughly (I got up to page 20ish?), but none of the actual form functionalities work.

andyman wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:25 am
enframed wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:39 am
andyman wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:00 pm
Maybe I'm not understanding the above, and I have no opinion of AP.

I don't find anything wrong with this. Many good people want to be hospitable, no matter their own economic situation. Seems to me they were appreciative of what they got from her, and wanted to offer what they could to show it. Why would someone take that away from them just because someone had more someplace else? I think it would have been worse if they insisted on declining the offer. It would have been the equivalent of saying, "I have more than you." The family knew that.
My take is that as touring musicians with a flexible schedule, who are likely accustomed to sleeping on floors, the undocumented family with hard jobs and schools to get to probably need the beds more. It's not about saying "I have more". It's about empathy and not putting yourself before other people.

If I'm staying in your house and there's only one bed then I'm grateful for the roof and facilities and will take the couch or floor.
Well, we don't know how much the family insisted or how much back and forth there was before AP and all decided to accept the offer. It was just one night. Having now dealt with many people with less than me being hospitable, I figure I'm being rude if I don't accept when it's offered. It's possible that this experience provided more for them (psychically) than missing one night in their beds.

Can you understand how insisting that empathy is needed here is projecting onto them? Assuming that because they are undocumented that they suffer? Showing empathy in such a situation could easily be taken as condescending. Maybe they don't need/want empathy. Maybe they need/want to show appreciation.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

I guarantee this sleepover in question never happened. It sounds like it was a story created to make the teller look good.

AP is a nightmare level narcissist and her music is fucking terrible. I kind of feel we got to the bottom of that in 90+ pages :ugeek:
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

Gramsci wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:30 am I guarantee this sleepover in question never happened. It sounds like it was a story created to make the teller look good.
I want to +1 this, but at the same time I want to believe that Amanda Palmer* will grasp any opportunity to take something away from the less fortunate.

* It’s interesting that one of the definitions of the word palmer is someone who palms something i.e. steals. And while googling I learned that Palmer also means “a hairy artificial fly used in angling.” Coincidence?
Escape Rope / Black Mesa / Inflatable Sex Babies

that bed/couch story, in the context of her Ted talk, or maybe some other crowd-sourcing advocacy thing she was doing at the time: my takeaway is, if your art has been deeply meaningful to someone, then it's ok, maybe even proper, to accept gestures of gratitude. Being from a dozen generations of weird, puritanical New Englanders, I may be projecting, but I think there's a culture of humility where you're not supposed to accept a compliment, or allow someone to give you some token of their gratitude, and maybe that can be cynical and insulting? If someone came up to me and was like "your music changed my life," my first thought would be "what is wrong with you?" and I'd try and deflect.

I get that the whole immigrant story is weird and suffused with Palmer's theatrical, sometimes-in-need-of-some-self-awareness personality, but I'm not getting some awful colonizer vibe out of it.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com

enframed wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:24 pm
Gramsci wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:30 am I guarantee this sleepover in question never happened. It sounds like it was a story created to make the teller look good.
Look good?
Wait, so now you admit it makes her look bad?
twelvepoint wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:15 pm I get that the whole immigrant story is weird and suffused with Palmer's theatrical, sometimes-in-need-of-some-self-awareness personality
That's all I was really saying, dude. I wasn't saying she should be lynched or anything.

twelvepoint wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:15 pm that bed/couch story, in the context of her Ted talk, or maybe some other crowd-sourcing advocacy thing she was doing at the time: my takeaway is, if your art has been deeply meaningful to someone, then it's ok, maybe even proper, to accept gestures of gratitude. Being from a dozen generations of weird, puritanical New Englanders, I may be projecting, but I think there's a culture of humility where you're not supposed to accept a compliment, or allow someone to give you some token of their gratitude, and maybe that can be cynical and insulting? If someone came up to me and was like "your music changed my life," my first thought would be "what is wrong with you?" and I'd try and deflect.

I get that the whole immigrant story is weird and suffused with Palmer's theatrical, sometimes-in-need-of-some-self-awareness personality, but I'm not getting some awful colonizer vibe out of it.
I didn't really consider that story in terms of coloniser, more in terms of an awful, un-self ware person making up a story to make her look "good" but managing to make herself seems an insufferable liar instead...

I'm of the opinion that AP is just a narcissist, in the clinical sense of the word. It's hilarious we've transferred a 90 page thread on AP into the new forum...
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

andyman wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:08 pm
enframed wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:24 pm
Look good?
Wait, so now you admit it makes her look bad?
I see.

So you all think she wrote it to make her look good, but it back-fired under the assumption she's taking more than they can give, or something. Or, she made the whole thing up.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale