Re: Personal memories from the old forum

ignoring the Dresden Dolls bullshit (worked at a karaoke bar once, "Coin Operated Boy" was a favorite of a very specific type of collegiate woman, would like to never think of this again)

did anyone else actually enjoy ol krakab*s* posting about finger fucking Mormons and very mid crossover thrash bands? i dunno if that was a character that some annoying hanger-on had invented - doubtful - but it reminded me of low-level blogspot posts. and hey, that's how I broke into the internet.

lessee, more locally, I got a yuck out of pwalsh having a fervent defense of Sting & The Police only for Brett Ralph (i think?) to respond "very well put, Patrick! CRAP"

twelvepoint wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:15 pm that bed/couch story, in the context of her Ted talk, or maybe some other crowd-sourcing advocacy thing she was doing at the time: my takeaway is, if your art has been deeply meaningful to someone, then it's ok, maybe even proper, to accept gestures of gratitude. Being from a dozen generations of weird, puritanical New Englanders, I may be projecting, but I think there's a culture of humility where you're not supposed to accept a compliment, or allow someone to give you some token of their gratitude, and maybe that can be cynical and insulting? If someone came up to me and was like "your music changed my life," my first thought would be "what is wrong with you?" and I'd try and deflect.

I get that the whole immigrant story is weird and suffused with Palmer's theatrical, sometimes-in-need-of-some-self-awareness personality, but I'm not getting some awful colonizer vibe out of it.
That's definitely a cultural thing in New England (maybe the entire northeast). I always deflect compliments, which annoys Seattle people and my Midwestern spouse. You can leave the Puritans, but they'll never leave you.
We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores.

Sleep on the floor. Sleep on the couch. Sleep in their beds. Doesn't matter, that's not the point here. The point is she's such a fucking blowhard narcissist douchebag that she felt the need to tell this story at all. In a very public forum.

I fucking HATE HATE when people can't do a single nice/cool/generous thing without announcing it to the world or making a post about it. FUCK.
gonzochicago wrote: Doubling down on life, I guess you could say.

jeff fox wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:39 pm Sleep on the floor. Sleep on the couch. Sleep in their beds. Doesn't matter, that's not the point here. The point is she's such a fucking blowhard narcissist douchebag that she felt the need to tell this story at all. In a very public forum.

I fucking HATE HATE when people can't do a single nice/cool/generous thing without announcing it to the world or making a post about it. FUCK.
100%. Fuck A.P.
Trey Wrote: "How great must a thread be to miss such a thing? Beans on the penis great, I suppose"

Yeah. Compare with something like the people of this parish involved in Letters to Santa. Other than promoting the charity, zero “look at me, I’m doing good person” stuff.

Speaking of… lesser moments, who remembers the Feminism thread. Oddly, pre all of the contemporary hoopla around so called “men’s rights” or masculinity influencers etc. There were some real ups and downs in that thread. Personally, it actually changed the way I saw feminism in a very personal and positive way. But wow there were some lows in that thread.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.