Pop Princess or Pop Poopoo?

CRAP
Total votes: 4 (40%)
NOT CRAP
Total votes: 6 (60%)
Total votes: 10

Re: Pop Princess: PinkPantheress

Gramsci wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 4:44 pm When you use Autotune to actually get your voice in tune instead of as an effect... give up.

That fucking software is a crutch for people with no talent.
Albini said that Jason Molina used it, and not as an effect, obviously, since it's imperceptible - it was to get his voice in tune, something Molina was self-conscious about. Needless to say, since Albini had autotune in his studio, I imagine there are plenty of other people with 'no talent' who use it, declared or undeclared.

Bluegum LaBloat wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:42 pm
Gramsci wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 4:44 pm When you use Autotune to actually get your voice in tune instead of as an effect... give up.

That fucking software is a crutch for people with no talent.
Albini said that Jason Molina used it, and not as an effect, obviously, since it's imperceptible - it was to get his voice in tune, something Molina was self-conscious about. Needless to say, since Albini had autotune in his studio, I imagine there are plenty of other people with 'no talent' who use it, declared or undeclared.
I don't recall seeing an Antares box in either studio, though one can use tape vari speed to hit certain notes. Not quite auto tune though.
Music

rsmurphy wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 4:55 pm I've been working on this theory about mainstream pop music in the 80's versus the 2020's and that's outside of genre in the 80's pop artists were fairly different from each other: Prince didn't sound like Michael Jackson who didn't sound like Madonna who didn't sound like Culture Club and so on and so forth. Maybe it's just not my vibe but your Dua Lipas and Charlie XCXs and whoever else sound so samey and boring to my ears.
Man, if you don’t get Charli’s genius I’m just sad for what you’re missing. Lipa’s stuff is ephemeral product, but Charli is on her own plane. Or planet.

And grousing about autotune is like saying distortion pedals are for people who can’t play.

'Boys a Liar' sounded like ADD babyfood, but at least it was jarring / annoying, which is the reaction dynamic you'd expect w/ this art and me.

Those two songs in the OP sound exactly like 4 Hero / Omni Trio / LTJ Bukem etc... which suggests zero imagination or one of those producers is heavily, heavily involved behind the scenes.

So recycled sounds, gimmick vocals, tiktok.

Crap

The 2 minute averages for her songs lets me know I'm not the target fanbase, but I'd be lying if I didn't dig the Ice Spice collab from last year (more for Spice but it's clearly PinkPantheress' song)

Those breakbeats were tired when Bjork used 'em, god help us when Bowie tried 'em out. So, with that in mind, I'll chalk it up to some retro thing, akin to teenagers still trying to be Slint.

In a fair world, there'd be some kids trying to mix a Scott Pilgrim romantic comic thing with Ghost in the Shell's futuristic hellscape, and they'd call PinkPantheress to do the soundtrack. As it is, her music gets disseminated on TikTok before they try to scrap her way too quickly, and someone remakes some shitty movie from the 80's instead. A shame.

leaning CRAP but only because I want Badu, not midi K-pop R&B, and that's on me.

matttkkkk wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:07 pm Man, if you don’t get Charli’s genius I’m just sad for what you’re missing. Lipa’s stuff is ephemeral product, but Charli is on her own plane. Or planet.
This past weekend while on the way back from the weed hizzy I took your counsel and listened to the first three songs off of Brat and an older song which I forget. Honestly, they did not move me in the slightest and I'm partial to pop music. They all had that artificial musical sound in addition to the autotune vocal effect.
And grousing about autotune is like saying distortion pedals are for people who can’t play.
Nah! The way that it's currently used is so ubiquitous that it erases everything that makes a singer's voice unique. I hate it. Totally turns me off. My brain immediately makes the Windows XP shutdown sound when I hear it. Bad sound!
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell