Re: Personal memories from the old forum

akosinski wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:23 am George Michael is awesome. In addition to his legitimately insanely beautiful voice, the video of him praising Joy Division while simultaneously trashing Morrissey to his face is incredible.
Are you talking about that British interview show where they’re on with some DJ and a host talking about various bands? I found the clip where they discuss Joy Division, but I didn’t catch him trashing Morrissey, though I would really like to!
Escape Rope / Black Mesa / Inflatable Sex Babies

Krev wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:48 pm "Aural horrors" was a bit heavy-handed. George was a good singer. While Wham! was really bad, I'd recommend the Netflix documentary.
No, you were right. Wham was pure cheese but all fine as kids stuff for kids. The first solo album was also dumb fun, then he decided he was a 'serious artist' and made two bafflingly awful records before losing it completely. Sting levels of pomposity w/ 90s 'sophisticated' RnB slickness - yuck.

Great voice but room temperature IQ.

Wood Goblin wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:57 am
A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:39 am George Michael wrote Careless Whisper when he was 17. This was the ideal response to twonks droning on about McCartney writing Yesterday at what, 23?

Then khonnor wrote all of Handwriting at 14/15 and it was checkmate, but still.
I believe Billy Strayhorn wrote “Lush Life” when he was a teenager, too.
Same wheelhouse, Kate Bush wrote 'Man With The Child In His Eyes' at the age of 13.
Dave N. wrote:Most of us are here because we’re trying to keep some spark of an idea from going out.

DrAwkward wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:24 pm Could someone with those sweet Wayback Machine skills find the story of the dude who was running karaoke when a bro got up on mic and absolutely crushed "Still of the Night" by the rock band Whitesnake? Lemur and I were searching the archive for that one a week or so back and struck out.
If it's gone, here's the Cliff's Notes...

- Buddy got up to kick out "Still Of The Night", and was turning that mother out.

- Obviously, there is an issue where Coverdale has the echo on his vocal on the recording. Should you sing the echoes or not. Entire thing could slide into the ditch in short order.

- Our guy calls up the perfect echo effect for the section, and buddy has roughly the echo Coverdale had on the record.

- Everybody breaks into the "Peanuts..." kids dance.

(Not entirely sure about that last part, but that is how it goes in my memory....)

Nah man, you can't cliffnotes that beauty.

"I had created David Coverdale, I was God"

even THAT is a paraphrase.

if anyone can remember the thread where someone straight up gave away an incredible story of getting so deep into Primus as a teenaged bass player that his finger calluses kept him from appreciating his first titty squeeze, that story makes me laugh to this day.

DrAwkward wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:24 pm Could someone with those sweet Wayback Machine skills find the story of the dude who was running karaoke when a bro got up on mic and absolutely crushed "Still of the Night" by the rock band Whitesnake? Lemur and I were searching the archive for that one a week or so back and struck out.
It was Jon in Florida, trying to remember his handle…
Escape Rope / Black Mesa / Inflatable Sex Babies

ChudFusk wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:27 pm
It was Jon in Florida, trying to remember his handle…
Barbo. I checked his archive earlier tonight trying to find the story and couldn’t, but I’m not very good at that sort of thing. It’s a killer story!