Total votes: 12 (18%)
1000 Hurts
Total votes: 10 (15%)
Excellent Italian Greyhound
Total votes: 6 (9%)
Dude Incredible
Total votes: 7 (11%)
Total votes: 66

Re: Favorite Shellac record (studio LPs)

At Action Park. I will never forget the sensation of hearing the opening chords for the first time.

In 1994 I had read a review in a German magazine, clumsily translated:

After Steve Albini has delighted us in the recent past with various productions to which he has lent his unmistakably harsh signature, Mr. Big Black now honors us with his new band Shellac. Industrial sounds with a classic line-up rattle with single-minded consistency like the rattling drive of a rusty, delicate iron machine.
Any friend of harmony will search in vain for melodies, because the razor-sharp guitar tears the smallest wounds into the nerves with the familiar bright-toned vehemence, which increase unnoticed over the duration of the album. “At Action Park” is perhaps the album that Helmet should have consistently written if they hadn't developed into an eccentric pop corner. Uncomfortable, frantically disruptive, nervous and calculating.
Above all, “At Action Park” is the uncompromising continuation of the grueling Big Black concept. This, together with Head of David's churning idea, gave us all the noise, industrial hardcore/punk bands like Godflesh and Pitch Shifter, who only have one thing in common with the original definition of this music: to plead for a little more humanity by means of inversion.

I knew I wanted to hear this. When I did, I would love it forever.

Re: Favorite Shellac record (studio LPs)

tommy wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 4:06 pm From the list: Terraform. But my favorite release are those first two 7”.
This is my “correct answer”.

I’m looking forward to the 7” compilation album that’s been discussed by Bob. From what I can tell there’ll be a remastered compilation of the first 7” plus some other tracks released sometime…. In the future.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.