Goat
Total votes: 48 (65%)
Liar
Total votes: 14 (19%)
Down
Total votes: 5 (7%)
Total votes: 74

Re: Favorite The Jesus Lizard record

jakethesnake wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:03 am Shot was a perfectly good little rock album with just enough *indicators* of prime Lizard to make it worthwhile-had it been my first album I've heard from them, I probably wouldn't have cares much which makes it a terrible *major label* debut; if you were unfamiliar with them, would it have made you a fan? I'm sceptical...

Blue was a 90s rock embarassment of epic proportions; up there with Melvins "Stag" and the final Cows album as stuff by previously great bands best ignored...
Shot actually was my first exposure to them and I still think it's pretty good. I even learned how to play the basslines to Thumper and Blue Shot and could probably re-figure them out in a couple minutes today. There's nothing wrong with Shot at all.
Blue, however... whew. Whew, boy.
🎸 krakoa.bandcamp.com
📚 barnesandnoble.com/s/Charlie%20Pauken
🥪 sandwichbully.blogspot.com

Charlie D wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:48 pm There's nothing wrong with Shot at all.
I'm telling you, man. Shot has some really serious bangers, songs that you hear live and you are just blown away by then.

If SHOT was recorded by Steve, I presume it would be regarded as the too three of TJL catalogue.

And I don't care about Sims as I have successfully trolled him on Blue-sky. I did not get a response.

Nothing major here. Just a regular EU cock. I pull it out and there is beans all over my penis. Bean shells all over my penis...

jakethesnake wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:03 am Shot was a perfectly good little rock album with just enough *indicators* of prime Lizard to make it worthwhile-had it been my first album I've heard from them, I probably wouldn't have cares much which makes it a terrible *major label* debut; if you were unfamiliar with them, would it have made you a fan? I'm sceptical...

Blue was a 90s rock embarassment of epic proportions; up there with Melvins "Stag" and the final Cows album as stuff by previously great bands best ignored...
Shot is a bit front-loaded, but half the material is really unrelenting rockin'; I like what GGGarth does with them, but they were such a perfect fit w/ Steve so it inevitably doesn't quite compare.

I will take Shot over Down and both over Head, which is marred by the 'creepy ugly 'merican overkill' vibe that was a cliche of that scene and a bit too much Birthday Party worship - losing that goth sheen worked wonders for 'em...

Blue is their worst but I've kinda come around on it a bit as a proto-Tomahawk record w/ weaker drumming and an out of place Yow performance (he does a fine job, but sits weird in these songs). I can recall seeing footage of them playing a few Blue songs live w/out the electronic bells 'n' whistles and being very underwhelmed, so fair play for trying something different...

I dunno y'all, "Blue Shot" stood out as an incredibly weak song during that first run of reunion shows. I know Yow wrote it about a picnic with his wife, so I can't be too surprised it was in the set, but anything from Head would have been more welcome. "Pastoral" might be my favorite Jesus Lizard song, more dunderhead bands should try to lilt!

"Thumbscrews" is a motherfucker of a song tho, agreed.

AdamN wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:28 pm Eh too many festivals, but it's at the SaLt ShEd :sparkle:
There was an announcement on WGN News made about this festival earlier today. The newscaster also announced who was headlining. He apparently doesn't know The Jesus Lizard because he pronounced them "Jesús Lizard". It was spectacular.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)