Re: Small questions that don't fit anywhere

Teacher's Pet wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:28 pm I want to restore some functionality to a seen-better-days workhorse DIY space PA mixer/amp (Samson S62).

It looks like it has a bunch of (14 total) broken pots where the shaft has been snapped off but NO...

... the pots actually don't have a shaft at all and the knobs have little "feet" that sort of clip onto the potentiometer. I was adjusting master volume using my thumbnail.

I don't recall ever seeing this before and I haven't had luck googling replacement knobs. I can't even find any knobs that resemble these snap-on specimens. WTF. Is there a name for these?
As previously requested, I now have photos of these knobs/pots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hGoMb8dM4jDKhPPe7

I struggle to comprehend how this could seem like a good way to design a pot/shaft but what the hell do I know.

Help me, Obi Wan K'nobi.

Compression and guitars…

I’m just getting back into making music after a break and have all my gear set up.

SG/TB500
Mesa Mark I head
CabClone
Pedals… Rat/Hotcake/Small Clone/Boss DD2

I’m having one problem, the clean signal and the higher strings being louder. Is this something I could solve with a simple compression pedal?
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

Gramsci wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 4:02 am Compression and guitars…

I’m just getting back into making music after a break and have all my gear set up.

SG/TB500
Mesa Mark I head
CabClone

I’m having one problem, the clean signal and the higher strings being louder. Is this something I could solve with a simple compression pedal?
There’s a lot that goes into this. Guitar and setup, playing, how hot your pickups are, which pickup you’re using, eq, gear choice. I wouldn’t really start with a compressor but it could work. It also depends on the amount of gain you already have going… compression and distortion (also compressed) mixed together is a different thing than if you’re playing clean and then squashing it from there.

But if you want to burn $150 you have a lot of options there. I like the Barber Tone Press since it has a mix knob which keeps the attack from sounding too thonky, but there’s all sorts of stuff out there. Cheap Dynacomps are cool but more for screwy lead stuff.

llllllllllllllllllll wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:37 am

SG/TB500
Mesa Mark I head
CabClone

There’s a lot that goes into this. Guitar and setup, playing, how hot your pickups are, which pickup you’re using, eq, gear choice. I wouldn’t really start with a compressor but it could work. It also depends on the amount of gain you already have going… compression and distortion (also compressed) mixed together is a different thing than if you’re playing clean and then squashing it from there.

But if you want to burn $150 you have a lot of options there. I like the Barber Tone Press since it has a mix knob which keeps the attack from sounding too thonky, but there’s all sorts of stuff out there. Cheap Dynacomps are cool but more for screwy lead stuff.
Yeah, much like with studio compression, guitar pedal compressors do a lot more to effect the tone than level out all of the notes. It's definitely a flavor, or a variety of flavors. You should watch a few demo videos to see if you like the vibe.

SG/TB500
Mesa Mark I head
CabClone

I would look at your pickup positions first, it might be that the coils are currently closer to the higher strings. Maybe setting up the pickup positions would solve this.

If I ever had an imbalance in string outputs from my guitar, my first go to move was to take my instrument to a luthier that would set up my guitar properly. Or if I was brave enough, I would use the screwdriver myself.
Nothing major here. Just a regular EU cock. I pull it out and there is beans all over my penis. Bean shells all over my penis...

Lol, thanks folks.

Yes, I can use screwdriver and yes might SG pickups are rather high...

I did watch some videos after posting this... I didn't realise it was more a tone shaper than straight up "level out the peaks" kind of thing...
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.