not crap
Total votes: 8 (44%)
not helpful
Total votes: 7 (39%)
harmful
Total votes: 3 (17%)
Total votes: 18

Re: activists: just stop oil

Where do these clowns think spray paint comes from, egg albumen and crushed annatto seeds? How did they make their way to Stonehenge, on bicycles and mule carts?

So, they materially supported the petrochemical industries by protesting the petrochemical industry.

Temper-tantrum activism offering no real solutions or reasonable compromise, just pointless theatrics.

Geiginni wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:40 pm Where do these clowns think spray paint comes from, egg albumen and crushed annatto seeds? How did they make their way to Stonehenge, on bicycles and mule carts?

So, they materially supported the petrochemical industries by protesting the petrochemical industry.

Temper-tantrum activism offering no real solutions or reasonable compromise, just pointless theatrics.
It was coloured corn starch.

I don't have kids, so I suppose I've no real skin in the game, but if I did then I'd applaud these nuisance theatrics all day long. That they manage to beat through so much bullshit to get in front of our eyeballs at all is point enough.
at war with bellends

No harm, no foul, their concern is valid.

The thing I hate about this shit, is I'm part of the 10-35% of humanity (haven't run the data yet) that's sympathetic to their cause. This shit PISSES off the people who need to be persuaded. I say this with no idea how you persuade those other people. So again, can't fault them until I have a better idea.

losthighway wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:20 pm This shit PISSES off the people who need to be persuaded. I say this with no idea how you persuade those other people. So again, can't fault them until I have a better idea.
It's a blind spot in folk, for sure. The whole deal with protest is that nobody wants to do it, and it will be grit in a cog, but it's necessary.

With this highly-visible brand of protest in particular, there's a weird response from some. It's as if they think these people are out there dicking about and finding what they're doing to be fun.
at war with bellends

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:12 pm That they manage to beat through so much bullshit to get in front of our eyeballs at all is point enough.
Oh, like I don’t know what’s going on out there in the world? I need some antics like this to wake up to the reality facing humanity? Bullshit.

Just stop oil? Who will be the first to give up flying anywhere, driving most anywhere, heating their homes, consuming most packaging and pharmaceuticals. Give up high-yeird agriculture, most clothing.

Can you go 8-10 years without replacing a phone or laptop? Where are your vegan non dairy products and avocados and high value fruits and vegetables coming from? They’re not coming from down the road in Old Blighty in January.

You want to go off the grid? what kind of energy input and supply chain energy sources are getting those solar panels to your home? That composting toilet? What kind of energy footprint does you or your loved ones end of life care look like?
Last edited by Geiginni on Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

I struggle with this one. Broadly they are right but in the UK due to the absolutely horrendous media they are probably doing more damage than good. It a sad state of affairs but the UK media is one of the most toxic I've experienced. It's much more insidious than something like Fox. Even the BBC can be truly mindbendingly terrible.

So not for the point, but know your audience...
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

It's one of those things where I feel that others interpret any sort of criticism about the actual activist action meaning that the criticizer is against the cause. Which in my case is not true.

But if I was an activist in this case and was willing to get arrested for my cause, I think I'd prefer to do something - also dramatic - but that actually disrupts either/both the production and/or consumption of oil. I don’t see this act as accomplishing either of those things.

Apologies if I'm short-sighted here, but was there any reason to target Stonehenge other than it's a high-profile historical site? And now they have vandalized it?
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

Geiginni wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:28 am
A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:12 pm That they manage to beat through so much bullshit to get in front of our eyeballs at all is point enough.
Oh, like I don’t know what’s going on out there in the world? I need some antics like this to wake up to the reality facing humanity? Bullshit.

Just stop oil? Who will be the first to give up flying anywhere, driving most anywhere, heating their homes, consuming most packaging and pharmaceuticals. Give up high-yeird agriculture, most clothing.

Can you go 8-10 years without replacing a phone or laptop? Where are your vegan non dairy products and avocados and high value fruits and vegetables coming from? They’re not coming from down the road in Old Blighty in January.

You want to go off the grid? what kind of energy input and supply chain energy sources are getting those solar panels to your home? That composting toilet? What kind of energy footprint does you or your loved ones end of life care look like?
Dad…?