Re: Small questions that don't fit anywhere

Gramsci wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:30 am Lol, thanks folks.

Yes, I can use screwdriver and yes might SG pickups are rather high...

I did watch some videos after posting this... I didn't realise it was more a tone shaper than straight up "level out the peaks" kind of thing...
Tone language is inherently goofy, but something about "hearing the squish" or a guitar tone sounding "squishy" just triggers my sense memory of compressed guitar tones.

TylerDeadPine wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:16 pm :( I got so stoked about the quick replies, thought someone solved my microphone dilemma
I don't know if you have come across this already yourself, or if it's even helpful at all, but I found this:

https://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtop ... a0#p548008

So maybe carefully warming where the threads should be with a hair dryer or heat gun on low to soften up any schmutz that might be giving you trouble? I don't own one of these but I have had similar problems with old mics before, so take this for what it's worth.

losthighway wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:00 pm

I did watch some videos after posting this... I didn't realise it was more a tone shaper than straight up "level out the peaks" kind of thing...
Tone language is inherently goofy, but something about "hearing the squish" or a guitar tone sounding "squishy" just triggers my sense memory of compressed guitar tones.
The video I watched used the word “chewy” way too often.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

ipitcher wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:49 pm
TylerDeadPine wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:16 pm :( I got so stoked about the quick replies, thought someone solved my microphone dilemma
I don't know if you have come across this already yourself, or if it's even helpful at all, but I found this:

https://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtop ... a0#p548008

So maybe carefully warming where the threads should be with a hair dryer or heat gun on low to soften up any schmutz that might be giving you trouble? I don't own one of these but I have had similar problems with old mics before, so take this for what it's worth.
I hadn’t seen that, and it’s definitely not unhelpful, thank you!!

I thought when both of them seemingly wouldn’t budge even when put in a vice and cranked on, that I was missing something :( :( even tried heat but now I’ll try more

Amazing thank you

Gramsci wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:31 pm

Oof, yeah that's worse. The gear dorks often describe pro audio pieces as sounding "creamy" which also bugs me for psycholinguistic reasons I can't quite place.
Last edited by losthighway on Wed Jun 19, 2024 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

losthighway wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:34 pm
Gramsci wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:31 pm

Oof, yeah that's worse. The gear dorks often describe pro audio pieces as sounding "creamy" which also bugs me for psycholinguistic reasons I can't quite place.
I’m going to make a video describing my tone as “pillowy and snapping”
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

TylerDeadPine wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:56 pm
ipitcher wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:49 pm

I hadn’t seen that, and it’s definitely not unhelpful, thank you!!

I thought when both of them seemingly wouldn’t budge even when put in a vice and cranked on, that I was missing something :( :( even tried heat but now I’ll try more

Amazing thank you

So knowing where the threads were helped immensely - I still had to use penetrating oil, a vice with softjaws and large tongue and groove pliers, along with turning past the point that I would have given up again not knowing the ring around the grill is where the thread was. Turns out wasn't much gunk, but BOTH of the mics were cross threaded, maybe from some long ago impact.