Re: RIP v2 - still no cure for death

Krev wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:31 pm I had never heard much Contortions stuff until yesterday. It would surprise me if he didn't have a large influence on both Minutemen and Rollins Band.
Rollins was a fan, for sure. His short-lived Infinite Zero label reissued some Contortions and James White & the Blacks LPs on CD in the mid-1990s.

I'd never made the Minutemen connection before (and Jesus, I've liked these records since the 80s), but it makes total sense. (Although I can't actually confirm Watt, Boon, or Hurley's enjoyment or Mr. Chance. But I'd bet on it.) That wiry guitar sound and integrating funk into punk before the idea become shitty.

Re: RIP v2 - still no cure for death

penningtron wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:59 am
Jacques wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:58 pm Heartbroken to have learned that Chris Donohue of Antarctica and Ova Looven recently passed away. Both of those bands have meant an awful lot to me for a long time.
Yeah.. shit. I was pretty into those Antarctica records in the late 90s/early 00s (still am just.. don't know where those CDs went). RIP.
That sucks. RIP. I was also into those Antarctica records. My buddy and I braved a brutal snow storm to see them at (I think) their first Chicago show at The Fireside. One of the other bands didnt make it, and I think counting the bands there were 9 people there. They still played great.
guitar in - weaklungband.bandcamp.com/