Re: RIP v2 - still no cure for death

Kinky Friedman. Songwriter and satirist. Author. Gubernatorial candidate. Animal rescuer. Texas jewboy.

One time, I was gassing up my car at a Chevron station in Columbus TX. The man gassing up his vehicle on the opposite side of the pump had on a black Stetson, a black trench coat, and a cigar dangling from his mouth. He was staring off into the late afternoon horizon, deeply thinking about something. I thought what kind of a jackass smokes a cigar at the pump? It suddenly dawned on me that it was Kinky Friedman. I felt like I spotted a unicorn.

RIP Kinky!

twelvepoint wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:30 am Laurie Lindeen of Zuzu’s Petals. Shared a bill with them in Columbus back in the day and they were quite good. Did she have musical projects beyond that?
She got a degree in writing and wrote and taught a bunch after that. Was married to Paul Westerberg.

Silkworm played with them once at the Euclid in CLE. They were good, and I liked them all as people.

Just got word from former FM Cranius that labor organizer and author Jane McAlevey has passed. At my old job four years ago I was trying to organize in the middle of the pandemic with half of my guys who were onboard with unionizing leaving for other jobs and while I eventually followed suit and was unable to complete the task, A Collective Bargain was invaluable at the time. Jesus Henry Harrison Andre Serrano Piss Christ, this is not fair.

Rest In Power to a real one for sure.

rsmurphy wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:00 am Shelley Duvall

An old band of mine once played a fundraiser for friends who reside in Blanco, TX, Shelley's hometown since the 90's. Friends and Shelley Duvall are the only reasons you'll find me deep in the heart of Texas.

Rest easy
Damn. Blanco’s oddest and most famous resident. I hope she got some good years out of her life out there.