Re: Albums that have been edited to be more sensitive

zorg wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:42 am
Wood Goblin wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:50 am Not sure how it appears on the record, but Dire Straits dropped the homophobic slur in “Money for Nothing” from live performances pretty early on. It doesn’t appear in the version you hear on the radio, though it definitely did in the 80s.
That's a bit daft...that line was so obviously spoken in character as a ignorant dockworker type. I'm always surprised that the Stones managed to grandfather in Brown Sugar. That's such a crude piss take. Can't deny the groove though.
I largely agree, but I can also see not wanting to sing that word, not wanting to hear the crowd singing along with it, and *really* not wanting to hear the elements that sing that one word as loudly as possible.

The lyrics of “Brown Sugar” are really shocking, just totally fucked.

Wood Goblin wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:58 am
zorg wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:42 am
Wood Goblin wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:50 am Not sure how it appears on the record, but Dire Straits dropped the homophobic slur in “Money for Nothing” from live performances pretty early on. It doesn’t appear in the version you hear on the radio, though it definitely did in the 80s.
That's a bit daft...that line was so obviously spoken in character as a ignorant dockworker type. I'm always surprised that the Stones managed to grandfather in Brown Sugar. That's such a crude piss take. Can't deny the groove though.
The lyrics of “Brown Sugar” are really shocking, just totally fucked.
Completely fucked.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

enframed wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:08 am
Wood Goblin wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:58 am The lyrics of “Brown Sugar” are really shocking, just totally fucked.
Completely fucked.
Yeah but also, oddest wikipedia description:
the song's popularity has often overshadowed its provocative lyrics, which explore a number of controversial subjects, including slavery, interracial sex, cunnilingus, and drug use.
born to give

kokorodoko wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:31 pm
enframed wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:08 am
Wood Goblin wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:58 am The lyrics of “Brown Sugar” are really shocking, just totally fucked.
Completely fucked.
Yeah but also, oddest wikipedia description:
the song's popularity has often overshadowed its provocative lyrics, which explore a number of controversial subjects, including slavery, interracial sex, cunnilingus, and drug use.
Drug use? Like "brown"...no I think they're confusing it with Mr. Brownstone. If there was ever a song devoid of subtext, Brown Sugar would be it. Tongue in cheek, and self-aware yes, but no need to read between the lines here.

I'm mostly just impressed that it was a commercial radio staple considering that.

pldms wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:48 pm
zorg wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:06 am I think a recent example is Beyonce saying retarded or something, and they changed that.
I missed this, but knew what the word would be since it catches so many US artists out (see also Lizzo recently): in the UK 'sp*z' is an offensive term for people with cerebral palsy, so if you want a global audience take care.
That's a shame, I love the word spaz. Last time I heard anyone use it, besides my wife calling me one, is the A.R.E Weapons track "Don't be Scared."

And people think you're a spaz
Just because you're a spaz
So what?
Spaz out, spaz!
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

One example that kinda drives me batty (and is a cautionary tale to keep your physical artifacts) is that the version most streaming services will play of "Brown eyed girl" is the single edit from the 60's that replaces "makin love in the green grass" with"laughing and running hey hey" to make it less provocative I suppose. It's also a really obvious edit.

Most curated playlists pull from greatest hits records, singles collections, etc so you get the dumb edited version more often than not, even tho its not offensive at all to anyone on Earth, and it's obviously an after-thought of an edit.

The regular, unedited version was the one that's been in every jukebox and played all over terrestrial radio as long as I have been alive, and if whatever digital comp you're listening to has the album as the source, you'll hear the correct version. And while I think it's OK that the edit exists and is playable, I don't think it should be the dominant version people hear nowadays, but because that version exists on a comp somewhere, that information is rising to the top of the search functions and crawlers/indexers/curators.

Apple music also has some wonky indexing for their shit that's fucked up alternate versions - superchunk's acoustic version of "throwing things" always plays the album version for some reason rather than the one from the singles comp that's very clearly a different version.