The Bear

Yes Chef!
Total votes: 15 (63%)
No Jeff…
Total votes: 9 (38%)
Total votes: 24

Re: TV Show - The Bear

penningtron wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 12:47 pm
Kniferide wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 12:18 pm I kinda wish they would get rid of the tweedle dee / tweedle dum combo cause they are loud and annoying and serve zero function, for whatever reason they get more screen time than anyone else on the show.
YES. Also I've seen that neck tat dude in interviews and he's part that VICE tv food bro culture. No thanks.
Yeah he is a youtube food guy and everything he cooks looks like total horseshit.
Was Japmn.

New OST project: https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/flight-ost
https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/numberwitch
https://boneandbell.com/site/music.html

penningtron wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:44 am S3: the occasional episodes centered on side characters are good, but the tortured genius main plot has gotten ridiculous. Can they make a spin off show where Jon Bernthal comes back full time.
I’m struggling with the comical characters like the two brothers. The “ad libbing” probably seems fun on set but it’s excruciating to watch at times.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

Gramsci wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 6:38 am I’m struggling with the comical characters like the two brothers. The “ad libbing” probably seems fun on set but it’s excruciating to watch at times.
Richie used to be kind of a comic foil so maybe they felt the need to fill that gap? Also neck tat guy has an executive producer credit now so maybe that's it? I'd need to rewatch early episodes but they didn't seem so present/so slapstick.

I don't think they expected this show to be a long lasting "hit" and it kind of shows. Much of S3 is a re-telling of things we already knew about from season 1 (Carmy's background, and dealings with the Joel McHale character).
Music

Came here to post the same complaint about the lack of Chicago music! Seems like such an obvious thing to do. The more it's got away from The Beef, the less it's been about Chicago I spose. I liked the meandering global bits as they prepped for The Bear's opening.

I'm still enjoying it- T's episode is the standout for me this series. Otherwise, it's felt a bit directionless, a bit like a soap that has to put out regular episodes. The romance was the worst part of S2, it's even worse in this one. Just tedious.

I think the performances of the family are great, Jamie Lee Curtice especially, but I don't buy them as Italian Americans at all. Barring Jon Bernthal (the anti-John Turturro) they all look waspy as fuck.

Enjoyed season 1, season 2 was better.

Almost done with the current season. Not really enjoying it, seems like it's spinning its wheels, for the most part. And many of the episodes are like arthouse film - here's a montage, here's a long slow-moving scene between 2 characters, here's another montage, etc, etc.

Overall not crap. The whole kitchen culture fascinates me. Not too long ago (before the show aired) I thought about becoming a chef, but I decided I'll just do it as a hobby at home.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

S3 ending with "To Be Continued.." was dumb. Unless stating up front that the show was ending then of course the story line will continue. They're really just dragging out certain plot points (romance: don't care. Syd's future: why is the decision so agonizing? Carmy's a dick and the place is a trainwreck..)
Music