Re: Albums that have been edited to be more sensitive

enframed wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:46 am
Wood Goblin wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:50 am Not sure how it appears on the record, but Dire Straits dropped the homophobic slur in “Money for Nothing” from live performances pretty early on. It doesn’t appear in the version you hear on the radio, though it definitely did in the 80s.
The Cure did this as well with "Killing an Arab" changing it to "Killing Another." I learned this while searching Spotify for the former.
Huh. Interesting. I saw them in 2008 and saw them play this song unchanged.
Teal Stripe - heavy indie rock
Inverted Candles - antifascist blackmetal
Mirage Music Club - YMO worhip (let us score your indie game)
Service Model - we have Aphex Twin at home

Gramsci wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:45 am There’s zero reason for the Cure to change that. It’s a blatant literary reference. Anyone taking offence really needs a deep look in the mirror.
My policy remains that people, especially artists, should never censor themselves, but they also shouldn't get agitated when confronted about situations that can get misconstrued. Not everyone is privileged enough to have been assigned a high school reading list as unfortunate as that is.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

enframed wrote: Butthole Surfers Psychic...Powerless...Another Man's Sac Matador reissue, "Negro Observer" has been removed.
Huh - that’s weird timing… I never clicked w the buttholes back in the day - had a tape with the first few releases but it left me pretty cold. Then a few weeks ago - maybe inspired by reading an interview w gibby - I woke up with negro observer in my head - the only song from that tape that I liked. Much head scratching ensued when I couldn’t find it on Spotify… now I know why!

the reissue comp of some of the Roach Motel singles left off their song Wetback for obvious reasons… maybe not uncommon on some re releases of hardcore bands where some stuff maybe meant to to deliberately offend back in the day does’nt cut the mustard these days…

Wood Goblin wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:58 am
zorg wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:42 am
Wood Goblin wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:50 am Not sure how it appears on the record, but Dire Straits dropped the homophobic slur in “Money for Nothing” from live performances pretty early on. It doesn’t appear in the version you hear on the radio, though it definitely did in the 80s.
That's a bit daft...that line was so obviously spoken in character as a ignorant dockworker type. I'm always surprised that the Stones managed to grandfather in Brown Sugar. That's such a crude piss take. Can't deny the groove though.
I largely agree, but I can also see not wanting to sing that word, not wanting to hear the crowd singing along with it, and *really* not wanting to hear the elements that sing that one word as loudly as possible.

The lyrics of “Brown Sugar” are really shocking, just totally fucked.
When the Stones perform Brown Sugar live, Mick leaves out the line "Hear him whip the women just around midnight."

Not sure if this counts but in 1963 Columbia Records removed Talkin' John Birch Paranoid Blues from The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan LP due to its controversial lyrics.
https://thegemshow.bandcamp.com/album/a-mountain-2
https://spitegeist.bandcamp.com/
https://wandajunes.bandcamp.com/