Compilations

Crapola - give me a straight album
Total votes: 3 (9%)
Not crap ever - a musical feast
Total votes: 29 (91%)
Total votes: 32

Re: Album format: the compilation

A Means to an End - The Music of Joy Division is brilliant.

All the AmRep compilations are great.

I’m sure there’s a million shit ones but I don’t listen to them.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

Iancee wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:31 am
Anthony Flack wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 3:52 pm
Iancee wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:22 pm my NZ friends just turned me onto some great punk aligned 70s comp which they and all their peers know inside out, but it never spread beyond NZ.
You talking about AK79? That was the first thing that came to mind.
Nope (but that’s a great comp!) - “it’s bigger than both of us” - double LP of post punk - early 80s, but not comped until 1988…lots to like…

https://www.discogs.com/master/8647-Var ... les-197982
Speaking of New Zealand compilations, Xpressway’s Killing Capitalism with Kindness is an all time favorite of mine. Great snapshot of early 90s lo-fi NZ, mostly South Island/Dunedin.

https://www.discogs.com/master/443314-V ... h-Kindness

I have a preference for the V/A compilations (some cited here already), rather than the best of's or otherwise compilations that serve as a deep dive into one. But some examples of the latter that I really like GBV's Human Amusements at Hourly Rates, the Fall's Totally Wired Rough Trade Years, and the Clean's Compilation.

amar wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:00 am I have a preference for the V/A compilations (some cited here already), rather than the best of's or otherwise compilations that serve as a deep dive into one. But some examples of the latter that I really like GBV's Human Amusements at Hourly Rates, the Fall's Totally Wired Rough Trade Years, and the Clean's Compilation.
The Clean Anthology is a good one! My wife and I spent 10 days bouncing from campsite to campsite on Kauai listening to just that comp.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

enframed wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:37 am
amar wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:00 am I have a preference for the V/A compilations (some cited here already), rather than the best of's or otherwise compilations that serve as a deep dive into one. But some examples of the latter that I really like GBV's Human Amusements at Hourly Rates, the Fall's Totally Wired Rough Trade Years, and the Clean's Compilation.
The Clean Anthology is a good one! My wife and I spent 10 days bouncing from campsite to campsite on Kauai listening to just that comp.
Yeah, I like Anthology too! The first disc largely overlaps the previous Compilation, but I started listening to Modern Rock because of the 2nd disc. Modern Rock is probably my favorite Clean album.

I beg to differ. Single-artist compilations can be great, especially when they're rounding up singles, unreleased material, or poorly documented bands. Flipper's Sex Bomb Baby!, Toiling Midgets' Dead Beats, and Swans' Body to Body Job to Job are all better than some of these bands' official studio LPs. (Hell, I've even put together a few such albums myself.)

I can't say I've paid attention to the Cure or New Order since my early teens, but Standing on a Beach and Substance were both far superior to whatever concurrent proper releases those postpunk dinosaurs were hawking at the time.