Re: Recommend a Decent EQ

Still kind of looking for an EQ that contrasts to the Audioscape Pultecs I have (and love).

The EQs on my Midas Venice are only suitable for extremely simple treble or bass boosting - when it works it works, but feeling around for a mid frequency bump where I don’t want it and then trying to cut that signal never really works like I want.

The Audioscape does MEQ work great for cutting certain frequencies before a compressor, and though it’s kind of being wasted in that position, that’s how I use it on vocals.

I am still considering getting a 6-space 500 rack with a couple nice eqs and then filling the rest of it with decent $300-400 stuff over time. I don’t really see how any hardware can get worse than the Midas.

llllllllllllllllllll wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:56 pm Still kind of looking for an EQ that contrasts to the Audioscape Pultecs I have (and love).

The EQs on my Midas Venice are only suitable for extremely simple treble or bass boosting - when it works it works, but feeling around for a mid frequency bump where I don’t want it and then trying to cut that signal never really works like I want.

The Audioscape does MEQ work great for cutting certain frequencies before a compressor, and though it’s kind of being wasted in that position, that’s how I use it on vocals.

I am still considering getting a 6-space 500 rack with a couple nice eqs and then filling the rest of it with decent $300-400 stuff over time. I don’t really see how any hardware can get worse than the Midas.
Gyraf G23s?

If it is for post-compressor duties then it might be a good option, although far from surgical.
"lol, listen to op 'music' and you'll understand"....

https://sebastiansequoiah-grayson.bandcamp.com/
https://oblier.bandcamp.com/releases
https://youtube.com/user/sebbityseb

The Urei 535 comes up a lot as a more affordable alternative to an API 560.
There are a lot of 1073 clones out there - would be a nice alternative to the pultec but not getting into graphic territory.
Orban still flies a bit under the radar, I know they have a nice stereo parametric unit.

Talked over it with my wife over dinner and I found some Sphere graphic eqs for close to half price and got those and a little 500 rack coming. Midrange fuckin covered with a bunch of eq points and what the hell, I just got a raise anyways. The eqs look super cool, but the move to a 500 series doesn’t feel great though it has felt inevitable for a while. Happy that I am one step closer to having a portable rig to take to my brother’s piano.

I have preamps and power supplies I can sell to fund this, I just hope the 500 series setup doesn’t bite me in the ass. At least some of the off the wall American stuff like Skibbe Flickenger, Spectra and such are more doable now if I ever feel like going that way.

llllllllllllllllllll wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:56 pm Still kind of looking for an EQ that contrasts to the Audioscape Pultecs I have (and love).

What kind of price range?
"There's a felling I get when I look to the west"
"When the meaningful words. When they cease to function. When there's nothing to say."

Mickey242 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:27 pm

What kind of price range?
None now! Tapped out after a pair of Sphere 900s and a 500 rack, but I’m always open to suggestions.

mdc wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:11 pm The Urei 535 comes up a lot as a more affordable alternative to an API 560.
There are a lot of 1073 clones out there - would be a nice alternative to the pultec but not getting into graphic territory.
Orban still flies a bit under the radar, I know they have a nice stereo parametric unit.
These are awesome EQs.
It's a good idea to completely recap. Huge sounding.
I love you.

airloom wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:51 pm
mdc wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:11 pm The Urei 535 comes up a lot as a more affordable alternative to an API 560.
These are awesome EQs.
Do you own any Pultecs?
"There's a felling I get when I look to the west"
"When the meaningful words. When they cease to function. When there's nothing to say."

Mickey242 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:35 pm
airloom wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:51 pm
These are awesome EQs.
Do you own any Pultecs?
Yes, 4 program and 3 midrange.
I love you.