Re: Small questions that don't fit anywhere

We have been 100% bandcamp and physical releases since the year and change we have been active, which actually has been pretty good for us so far.

People who dig us dont seem to care for CDs, or tapes, so its records and digital. We sold out of all our records and fuck knows when we are going to get them repressed. That leaves bandcamp is the only place to listen to us at the moment, which seems like I'm shooting myself in the foot because a ton of people just dont use bandcamp to listen to music. I dont expect to make any money, but for ease of people to check it out, seems worth it for a few bucks.
guitar in - weaklungband.bandcamp.com/

llllllllllllllllllll wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:17 am Very cool compression and effects on the new Drose song - anyone care to try and describe what’s going on here?

It adds a really cool sense of movement, especially on the sparse parts. So good. Sounds like a body being turned inside out, but not necessarily in an unpleasant way
First off, most everything is pretty seriously squished on a per-track basis.
then, there's the ducking effect. My best guess is that there's either a compressor of the mix bus that's being triggered by the kick drum. OR, there are two sub mixes going on, one with bass and guitars, and one with the drums, special effects, and maybe vocals. Then the guitar/bass submix is being compressed and triggered by the kick. This allows the guitars/bass to be pushed up a little more in the mis, and then they quickly get out of the way to make room for the kick drum whump.
This is all my best guess.

MBV used to do a kick drum/bass guitar compression thing, with the kick ducking the bass guitar.

benadrian wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:38 am
llllllllllllllllllll wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:17 am Very cool compression and effects on the new Drose song - anyone care to try and describe what’s going on here?

It adds a really cool sense of movement, especially on the sparse parts. So good. Sounds like a body being turned inside out, but not necessarily in an unpleasant way
First off, most everything is pretty seriously squished on a per-track basis.
then, there's the ducking effect. My best guess is that there's either a compressor of the mix bus that's being triggered by the kick drum. OR, there are two sub mixes going on, one with bass and guitars, and one with the drums, special effects, and maybe vocals. Then the guitar/bass submix is being compressed and triggered by the kick. This allows the guitars/bass to be pushed up a little more in the mis, and then they quickly get out of the way to make room for the kick drum whump.
This is all my best guess.

MBV used to do a kick drum/bass guitar compression thing, with the kick ducking the bass guitar.
Yeah that ducking is the first thing that hit my ear. Sounded kinda cool at first but like every other thing I've ever heard with heavy ducking as an effect it gave me a headache after about a minute. I think that effect just gives me "sinus infection on a flight" PTSD. I'll occasionally duck the bass for the kick and the OH for the snare but in a way where if I think I can actually hear it, it is too much and I back it off.
Was Japmn.

New OST project: https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/flight-ost
https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/numberwitch
https://boneandbell.com/site/music.html

bassdriver wrote: Have any of you ever used/modified a Altec Lansing 1678c 8 Channel mixer as a mic preamp?
A friend bought one and asked me if I would do the work on it. I’ve found the schematics and a tape op thread on how to mod it.
Just curious if anyone has any experience with that model.
I bought a greenface one years ago and had it modified for direct outs. I also added a pad on each channel but I think I never needed them.
I used it as a permanent front end for an 8-track tape deck (Tascam 238) and I loved it.
Accessing the phantom power was a slight pain but otherwise it was great.

I compared it once to my other preamp option (Soundcraft EPM 12) shootout-style and I preferred the Altec, slightly.

My experience and expertise in the realm of pre-amps is rather thin and my rig was kinda lo-fi but what the hell, it sounded OK to me and was easy to use.
Even after the modifications it was relatively affordable, well under $1k total at that time. Looks cool too.