Tin Machine

Not crap
Total votes: 9 (53%)
Crap
Total votes: 8 (47%)
Total votes: 17

Band - Tin Machine

I’m going to admit I’m probably one of the only people in the world that thinks this is some of Bowie’s best work outside of the Berlin Trilogy.

I really think this was ahead of or out of its time. The first album is clearly a deliberate subversion of blues-rock mixed with post-punk. Gabrels’ playing is as great, I can see why Bowie got Page Hamilton briefly as his stunt guitarist after Gabrels. The soloing is very similar.

The second album is underrated in my opinion… other than the mistakes letting the drummer sing…

A solid not crap from me, which I acknowledge is a niche opinion.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

Re: Band - Tin Machine

I think everybody likes the Sales bros., right. They're great. Also, I like David Bowie, I like straight ahead rock....so should be a slam dunk. I like the first record, but something doesn't quite gel entirely. Maybe it's the recording, but I ultimately I think maybe they just needed a couple of proper singles. It's not like Bowie couldn't write a single. Whatever. A couple of cool moments and good playing. The second record is a bit naff. I'm pretty sure I'm voicing the concensus.

Re: Band - Tin Machine

I bought this when it came out. I admit that the mindset I went into it with - hey, Bowie's trying to do metal - might not have been helpful in assessing its true artistic intent. It was promptly returned to For the Record in Amherst for store credit.

All I can remember from it is part of the title song, which has somehow become gooped up with the Dead Milkmen's "Bitchin' Camaro" in my mind, so when I think about the song it goes "Tin Machine! Tin Machine! I ran over my neighbors!"

Drugs, man.